Creamy chipotle sauce is the perfect balance between smoky and spicy with a thick, smooth texture that elevates any dish. It is a quick and easy way to add a bold pop of chipotle pepper flavor to a savory meal. Slather this on your favorite foods as a topping or use it as a delicious dip.
- Why We Love This Chipotle Sauce Recipe:
- Ingredients you need:
- Instructions to Make Chipotle Sauce:
- Alternatives and Variations:
- How to Use Chipotle Sauce:
- Storing and Reheating:
- More Sauce Recipes to Try
- 📖 Recipe
- Be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this recipe! I would love to see your creation, and give you a shoutout!
Every time I serve this Mexican-inspired sauce, it is a hit! Chipotle sauce, also also known as chipotle crema, is spicy with a slight tangy flavor.
Why We Love This Chipotle Sauce Recipe:
Quick & Easy! Making chipotle sauce from scratch is a breeze. This delectable sauce contains five common ingredients. And it is ready in just 5 minutes!
Versatile! Serve it over tacos or use it to dip your fries; the possibilities are endless!
Better Than Taco Bell! The fast food franchise sells a bottled version but this homemade chipotle sauce tastes so much better because it is fresh.
So if you enjoy a bit of heat without it being overwhelmingly hot, this is the sauce for you! I love adding sauce to food because it elevates the overall flavor.
This chipotle sauce recipe is super simple to prepare and pairs well with everything from burrito bowls to fish tacos.
Ingredients you need:
- Sour cream: The slight tangy flavor enriches the sauce's flavor and consistency.
- Mayonnaise: The creamy base of this recipe.
- Chipotle adobo paste: Smoked and dried red jalapenos that have been rehydrated in a puree of tomato, vinegar, and garlic (adobo sauce). Find this at your local grocery store.
- Lime: The acidity of lime juice balances out the heat from the peppers.
- Garlic powder: A tasty addition that rounds everything out. But garlic cloves will work in a pinch.
Instructions to Make Chipotle Sauce:
Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, chipotle adobo paste, juice of the lime, and garlic powder into a food processor or high speed blender.
Blend the ingredients on high for 2 minutes in order to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
Then pour the chipotle sauce into a mason jar with a tight fitting lid, or a condiment squeeze bottle. Use the sauce immediately, or store it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Alternatives and Variations:
- No Sour Cream: Use Greek yogurt or Mexican crema instead.
- Ground Chipotle Pepper: If you can not find chipotle paste, you can use the ground version instead. Add it in ½ a teaspoon increments until you reach you desired level of spiciness.
- Vegan Chipotle Sauce: Use cashew sour cream and vegan mayo instead of the dairy based ingredients.
- Spicy Chipotle Sauce: For extra spice, add one whole chipotle pepper. You can also add cayenne pepper to make it even spicier.
How to Use Chipotle Sauce:
This homemade sauce is set. Now it is time to put it to good use! Try:
- Tacos: It is a delicious taco sauce! Drizzle this mouthwatering sauce over a crunchy taco like Chicken Birria Quesatacos or Beef Birria QuesaTacos con Consomé.
- Nachos: Grab tortilla chips and use this as a dipping sauce or spoon it over these layered Nacho Fries.
- Enchiladas: This would taste amazing with Shrimp Enchiladas, Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas and my fully loaded Breakfast Enchiladas.
- Burgers: For a delicious spin on a homemade burger, add this sauce to my Creamy Chipotle Cheeseburger recipe.
- Burritos: Cheesy Bacon Loaded Breakfast Burritos could benefit from some chipotle flavor.
- Salad: Skip the dressing and use this instead. Try it with my Cobb Salad with Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp.
- Adjust the measurements of each ingredient to the proper spiciness, tanginess, and thickness for your taste buds.
- Now is not the time to skimp on ingredients. Use a full fat mayonnaise for full flavor.
- This sauce can be served hot or cold.
Storing and Reheating:
Store leftover sauce in an airtight container or mason jar and refrigerate for up to one week. The sauce thickens when stored. So when you want to use it, you may need to add a few drops of water and shake or stir.
You can use this sauce right out of the refrigerator, or you can heat it up in the microwave. Just place it in a microwave safe dish, and warm it up for about 20 seconds before using it.
What is chipotle sauce made from?
This cream-based sauce contains mayo, sour cream, chipotle peppers, lime, and spices.
Is chipotle sauce hot or spicy?
Chipotle sauce is between mild and hot so it is a medium heat level. It is not overly spicy because the sour cream keeps it tame. But it still packs great flavor!
Can I freeze chipotle sauce?
No. This dairy-based sauce can not be frozen. If so, the sauce will curdle when defrosted.
More Sauce Recipes to Try
- Quick Sofrito Recipe
- Copycat In-N-Out sauce
- Salsa Roja
- Green Mojo Sauce
- Zesty Cajun Tartar Sauce
- Simple Homemade Marinara Sauce
- ½ cup Sour cream
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons Chipotle adobo paste (along with one whole chipotle pepper- optional for spice)
- ½ Lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, chipotle adobo paste, juice of the lime, and garlic powder into a food processor or high speed blender.
- Blend the ingredients on high for 2 minutes to make sure everything is fully incorporated.
- Pour the chipotle sauce into a mason jar with a tight fitting lid, or a condiment squeeze bottle. Use the sauce immediately, or store it in the refrigerator for up to one week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Zulay Kitchen Premium Wooden Utensils For Cooking - 6 Pc Set Non-Stick Soft Comfortable Grip Wooden Cooking Utensils - Smooth Finish Teak Wooden Spoon Sets For Cooking
Ball Regular Mouth 32-Ounces Mason Jar with Lids and Bands (2-Units), Pack of 2, Clear
San Marcos Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce, 28 oz
Whisks for Cooking, 3 Pack Stainless Steel Whisk for Blending, Whisking, Beating and Stirring, Enhanced Version Balloon Wire Whisk Set, 8"+10"+12"
Meal Prep Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls Set, Home, Refrigerator, and Kitchen Food Storage Organizers | Ecofriendly, Reusable, Heavy Duty By WHYSKO (With Black Lids)
Ninja BL660 Professional Countertop Blender with 1100-Watt Base, 72 Oz Total Crushing Pitcher and (2) 16 Oz Cups for Frozen Drinks and Smoothies, Gray
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.