Chicken Lettuce Wraps are tender, flavorful chicken tossed with savory hoisin sauce nestled in crunchy beds of lettuce. This delicious homemade copycat version of the beloved PF Chang's appetizer is simple to make and so satisfying! Make this a quick to-go lunch or an easy weeknight meal.
Interested in more copycat recipes? Then check out my Copycat KFC Famous Bowl, Taco Bell Nacho Fries, and the Olive Garden-inspired Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup next!
- Why We Love This Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe:
- What Type of Lettuce is Best for Chicken Lettuce Wraps?
- Ingredients you need:
- Instructions to make Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- Alternatives and Variations:
- What to Serve with Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Storing and Reheating:
- More Asian Inspired Recipes to Try
- 📖 Recipe
- Be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this recipe! I would love to see your creation, and give you a shoutout!
I love PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps but I also love saving money! With a family of 6, dining out can be costly so I love making restaurant favorites from the comfort of home.
These Asian chicken lettuce wraps are perfect bites of juicy chicken packed with fresh flavor from ginger, garlic, and onions. The delightful crunch of crispy butter lettuce will have you devouring these by the handful!
Why We Love This Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe:
Easy Prep! Making a copycat recipe has never been simpler. It goes from the skillet to your plate in less than 30 minutes.
A Healthy Snack! Chicken lettuce wraps are low-carb and keto-friendly so you can enjoy this restaurant fave totally guilt-free! They are perfect for a meal prep entree as well.
Better Than the Restaurant Version! Save money and customize your lettuce wraps to make them super special.
Great Party Appetizer! This grab-and-go treat is perfect for parties. So serve these at a Super Bowl event and watch how quickly they are gobbled up!
What Type of Lettuce is Best for Chicken Lettuce Wraps?
I love making leafy green lettuce cups. The lettuce used in this chicken lettuce wrap recipe can make or (literally) break your meal.
You need head lettuce that is large, flexible, and sturdy enough to hold the meat filling without wilting. I suggest using one of the following:
- Butter Lettuce
- Romaine Lettuce
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Bibb Lettuce
Ingredients you need:
- Olive oil: Sesame oil, avocado oil, or peanut oil will work too.
- Ground chicken: The mild flavor of ground chicken works so well with the additions in this recipe.
- Onion: Diced.
- Garlic: Use fresh minced garlic for the best results.
- Water chestnuts: These add a sweet, nutty flavor and amazing crunchy texture. Drain and dice them before adding them to the other ingredients.
- Green onions: Diced.
- Butter lettuce: Remove the lettuce leaves and clean the lettuce before using.
- Seasoning: I add salt and pepper to taste.
- Hoisin sauce: This sweet and savory sauce is essential to the recipe.
- Soy sauce: For a deep umami flavor, use this. Use low sodium if salt intake is a concern.
- Rice wine vinegar: This adds a tangy taste that complements the other flavors.
- Ginger: Grate fresh ginger. (But you can use ginger powder in a pinch.)
Instructions to make Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
Cook Ground Chicken
Add the olive oil to a large skillet and heat it up over medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated up, add the ground chicken directly into the skillet.
Cook the chicken for about 7 minutes, or until it is cooked all the way through and there is no more pink. Use a wooden spatula or spoon to crumble the chicken up into tiny pieces as it cooks.
Add Aromatics and Water Chestnuts
Add in the diced onion, minced garlic, water chestnuts, and green onion. Stir them around and saute together for about two minutes. While that is cooking, mix all the ingredients for your sauce together in a small bowl.
Gently pour all but 2 tablespoons of the sauce mixture into the chicken, and stir it in until everything is fully combined. Reserve the remaining sauce for serving.
Let the chicken simmer in the sauce for at least one minute.
Serve Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Serve the chicken directly in the lettuce wraps like you would a taco. Pour the reserved sauce over the chicken wrap if desired. Finally, top with sesame seeds, or dried rice noodles for added texture.
Drizzle on sriracha sauce for added spice and flavor! You can also top them with some Garlic Chili Oil for some flavor and a kick.
Alternatives and Variations:
- Protein: Instead of ground chicken, you can use ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork, or even finely diced chicken breast.
- Add Veggies: Shiitake mushrooms would taste delicious in a lettuce wrap. It could even be used as a meat substitute in order to make vegetarian lettuce wraps. Just chop them finely. You can also include bell peppers or shredded carrots.
- Gluten-Free Asian Lettuce Wraps: If you have a wheat allergy, substitute soy sauce for coconut aminos instead.
- Toppings: For garnish, you can add chopped peanuts or wonton strips.
- Purchase fresh lettuce. Make sure the outer leaves are not discolored or wilting.
- Remember to wash and dry the lettuce before serving.
- Ground chicken is chewy but should never be rubbery. Prepare the chicken mixture on medium heat to medium-high heat in order to avoid overcooking.
What to Serve with Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Wondering what goes well with chicken lettuce wraps? Make this great recipe into an amazing meal with one of these delicious sides:
- Noodles: Serve chicken lettuce wraps with noodles like vegetable lo mein or these Food Court Style Asian Noodles.
- Fried Rice: This would be super filling with a side of rice, like my Beef Fried Rice, Kimchi Fried Rice, or Leftover Pork Fried Rice.
- Potstickers: Enjoy them with a side of dumplings for a heartier meal.
Storing and Reheating:
Separate leftovers into two airtight containers: one for the lettuce, and the other for the chicken mixture. Place them in the refrigerator and consume them within 3 days.
When you want to reheat, warm up the meat mixture in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat.
How do you make lettuce wraps not soggy?
Completely dry the lettuce before using it. Do not place the chicken mixture on the lettuce until you are ready to serve.
So it is best to make the chicken wrap as you are eating.
Do lettuce wraps help you lose weight?
You definitely skip the carbs and save calories by swapping a taco shell, bread, or tortilla for lettuce. While lettuce wraps can be enjoyed as part of a healthy, balanced diet, be mindful of the ingredients and add-ons used for the filling too.
More Asian Inspired Recipes to Try
- Quick and Easy Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Easy and Delicious Vermicelli Bowls
- Homemade Lumpia (Filipino spring rolls)
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Food Court Style Asian Noodles
Chicken Lettuce Wraps are tender, flavorful chicken tossed with savory hoisin sauce nestled in crunchy beds of lettuce. This delicious homemade copycat version of the beloved PF Chang's appetizer is simple to make and so satisfying!
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 pound Ground chicken
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 8 ounce can Water chestnuts, drained and diced
- ¼ cup Green onions, diced (about 3 sprigs of green onions)
- 1 head Butter lettuce, leaves removed and cleaned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, grated (use ginger powder in a pinch)
- Add the olive oil to a skillet and heat it up over medium high. Once the oil is heated up, add the ground chicken directly into the skillet.
- Cook the chicken for about 7 minutes, or until it is cooked all the way through and there is no more pink. Use a wooden spatula or spoon to crumble the chicken up into tiny pieces as it cooks.
- Add in the diced onion, minced garlic, water chestnuts, and green onion. Stir them around and saute together for about two minutes. While that is cooking, mix all the ingredients for your sauce together in a small bowl.
- Gently pour all but 2 tablespoons of the sauce mixture into the chicken, and stir it in until everything is fully combined. Reserve the remaining sauce for serving.
- Let the chicken simmer in the sauce for at least one minute.
- Serve the chicken directly in the lettuce wraps like you would a taco. Pour the reserved sauce over the chicken wrap if desired. Top with sesame seeds, or dried rice noodles for added texture.
- Drizzle on sriracha sauce for added spice and flavor!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lee Kum Kee Hoisin Sauce, 8.5 oz
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
MOSFiATA 8" Super Sharp Professional Chef's Knife with Finger Guard and Knife Sharpener, German High Carbon Stainless Steel EN1.4116 with Micarta Handle and Gift Box
Dynasty Water Chestnuts, Sliced, 8 oz
Sensarte 9.5/11-Inch Nonstick Frying Pan Skillet, Swiss Granite Coating Omelette Pan, Healthy Stone Cookware Chef's Pan, PFOA Free (9.5 Inch )
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.