The best beef and broccoli recipe is made in one pot in well under 30 minutes. Made with tender pieces of steak, nutrient packed broccoli, and the most delicious stir fry sauce ever!
Beef and broccoli is definitely one of our family's favorite dishes to order at a Chinese restaurant or when ordering Chinese takeout. So it was only right to get home and recreate this iconic recipe.
The Best Part About this beef and broccoli recipe:
You can have dinner on the table in well under 30 minutes! After a tiny bit of prep work, mainly slicing the beef, you will saute the meat and broccoli, and it is done in a matter of minutes!
This classic Chinese recipe is very affordable. You can use frozen broccoli or fresh broccoli, a nice cut of beef, and a few pantry staple ingredients for this dish.
It is an easy 1-pan recipe! If you have a wok, that is definitely ideal to use for this meal. If not, a skillet on the stovetop works just as great. The best part is that you only need one pan to make the whole meal.
Ingredients you need:
This broccoli and beef recipes only calls for two main ingredients, and some other pantry staples to make the delicious stir fry sauce.
- Beef: use a ribeye steak, flank steak, or tri-tip to get the most tender piece of meat.
- Broccoli: you can use frozen broccoli or fresh broccoli for this recipe. The cooking times will vary a little depending on which you use.
- Beef and broccoli sauce recipe: for this sauce you should have most of the ingredients right in your cabinets or pantry. You will need soy sauce, water, garlic, ginger powder, brown sugar, and cornstarch.
**Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for the full list of ingredients and directions**
Instructions to make this beef and broccoli:
Start by placing your steak in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Partially freezing the ribeye steak will make it so much easier for you to cut.
While the steak is freezing, mix up your stir fry sauce. Start by adding all of the ingredients into a medium bowl, and stir or whisk until it is fully combined. Set that to the side.
If you are using frozen broccoli, flash cook it in the microwave for two minutes, just enough to get it defrosted. With fresh broccoli, you just want to cut it into small florets.
Next you will add one tablespoon of the olive oil into your skillet over medium-high heat. Gently add the broccoli into the wok and saute it for 2-3 minutes. Remove it from the pan and set it aside
Remove the steak from the freezer. Now you want to thinly slice your cut of beef, in about ¼ inch thick slices. Be sure that you are using a sharp butchers knife too!
Now you should add the other tablespoon of oil into the pan and heat it over high. Place your thinly sliced beef directly into the skillet in one single layer. Cook for about two minutes per side.
Turn the heat to medium and pour your sauce into the wok. Gently toss the beef in the sauce until it begins to thicken up.
Place your broccoli back into the skillet and gently mix until all of the sauce is coating the beef and broccoli.
How to make the most delicious stir fry sauce:
This sauce for the beef and broccoli recipe is truly what makes it so darn delicious! Grab a medium size bowl and add in your soy sauce, water, minced garlic, ginger powder, brown sugar, sesame oil, cornstarch, and black pepper.
Now you should use a whisk or a spoon, and vigorously mix everything until it is all fully combined. The cornstarch will stick to the bottom of the bowl after it sets for awhile, so be sure to mix it thoroughly before pouring it into your pan.
The best tender beef to use for stir fry:
One of the best cuts of beef to use for stir fry is Ribeye steak. The main reason the ribeye is a great cut of meat to use is because it remains super tender throughout the cooking process.
Other great cuts that can be used for stir fry are:
- Flank steak steak
- Top sirloin steak
- Tri-tip steak
Once these cuts of beef are cut against the grain, they can be stir fried to be super tender and easy to chew. These are also great cuts because they are fairly inexpensive.
Pro-Tips for making broccoli and beef:
Freeze the steak! It is really important to get the steak to a semi-frozen state before you try to slice it. Freezing steak before slicing it makes it so much easier to cut thinly.
Use frozen broccoli: Using broccoli florets that are frozen will cut down on the cooking time, and may be more cost efficient.
How to tenderize beef: After slicing your cut of steak, add it to a bowl and sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of baking soda all over the meat. Use your hands or tongs to cover the meat entirely.
Cover the meat with water, and set it aside for 1-2 hours. When you are ready to cook it, rinse the meat very thoroughly to make sure all of the baking soda is rinsed off.
Serve with Jasmine rice: any rice would be a great bed for this delicious beef and broccoli recipe. However, jasmine rice has tends to be a bit more fluffier, and holds a nice texture when cooked.
Storing and Reheating:
If you happen to have any leftover broccoli and beef, let it cool down completely. Once it is completely cooled, store the leftovers in an airtight container with a lid.
Place it in the refrigerator for up to four days. When you are ready to eat it, place it in a microwave safe dish, and microwave on high for about 2 minutes. Be sure to stir it frequently to get rid of hot spots.
Serve over your pre-cooked rice and garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
Is Chinese Beef and Broccoli stir fry healthy?
For the most part this is a healthy dish. It is packed with a lot of protein and nutrients with the steak and brocolli. There is a good amount of sodium in the sauce, and depending on the cut of meat, it could be fatty.
Why is my beef so tough in my stir fry?
The cut of meat that you use is very important to get tender beef. If using a flank steak or tri tip, be sure to cut it against the grain. It is also vital to cook the steak meat quickly and at a high temperature.
What sides to eat with broccoli and beef:
The most popular side dish to eat this Chinese food classic with is rice. There are several kinds of rice that you can pair it with. Eating it over noodles is another popular option.
However, this can also be a keto diet friendly recipe if you want to eat it on it's own. It is hearty enough to be a complete meal.
- 1 pound Flank or Ribeye steak, cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 cups Broccoli, fresh or frozen but partially thawed is okay
- Sesame seeds (optional to garnish)
Stir Fry Sauce
- 6 tablespoons Soy sauce
- ½ cup Water, warm
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 3 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Sesame oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons Corn starch
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- Mix all of the stir fry sauce ingredients in a medium bowl, and set it aside.
- Freeze the steak for about 20-30 minutes before slicing to help cut it easier. Once the steak is sliced, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to your wok or skillet and heat it over medium high.
- If you are using frozen broccoli, flash cook it in the microwave for one minute to help defrost it. Get rid of any extra liquid. Add the broccoli into hot oil and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- If using fresh broccoli, increase the time to 4-5 minutes for a tender crisp texture. Stir occasionally so that it does not burn. Remove the broccoli and set it aside in a bowl.
- Increase the heat to high and add the other tablespoon of olive oil into the pot. Next add the beef in one single layer.
- Saute the beef for about 2 minutes per side, or until it is cooked evenly. Taste a piece to see if it is done to your liking, (remember it will continue cooking in the sauce).
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and pour the stir fry sauce into the pan and stir it around for about one minute, or until it begins to thicken a bit.
- Add the broccoli back into the skillet and gently mix it until everything is combined. Serve over cooked rice and sprinkle with the sesame seeds for garnish.
If sauce gets too thick, add one tablespoon of water at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kikkoman Soy Sauce, 10 Fl Oz
Kadoya Sesame Oil, 22.10 Fl Oz
Oster 2124087 DiamondForce Electric Wok, 4.7-Quart, Black
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
Professional Kitchen Knives High Carbon Stainless Steel Chef Knife Set,3PCS Ultra Sharp Japanese Knife with Sheath,Ergonomic Pakkawood Handle Elegant Gift Box for Home or Restaurant
Wood Cutting Board Set - Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove - Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables | Heavy Duty Serving Tray w/Handles (3)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 582Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 1449mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 35g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.