Korean Beef Bulgogi in the Instant Pot has tender and juicy marinated slices of beef. The sweet and savory Korean flavors of the bulgogi beef have undertones of pear, brown sugar, and soy sauce.
Table of contents
Have you ever been to a Korean barbecue restaurant? I love the dining experience because everyone could take part in the fun of cooking the marinated meat over a grill.
While this Instant Pot Korean Beef Bulgogi recipe is obviously for home, we’ll capture the essence of the Korean barbecue dining experience using robust flavors like ginger and Gochujang. You get all the flavor and tenderness you’d expect from a restaurant while in the comfort of home.
Ingredients Needed for Korean Beef Bulgogi in the Instant Pot:
- Steak, thinly cut
- A Pear, peeled and grated
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Garlic, minced
- Fresh Ginger, grated
- Gochujang paste
- Vegetable oil
- Green onions, roughly chopped
- Sesame seeds, (optional) for garnish
What Kind of Beef Should I Use for the Bulgogi?
Ribeye steak is ideal for this recipe because it has the best sear. It is also a super tender cut of steak, due to the fat content. However, virtually any cut of steak will suffice as long as it is cut as thin as possible.
How to Make the Instant Pot Korean Beef Bulgogi:
Prepare by cutting the steak in ¼" strips or smaller. Cut the beef into thin pieces in order to marinate the meat more thoroughly and cook it faster.
Using a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine the steak, grated pear, brown sugar, soy sauce, minced garlic, grated ginger, and gochujang paste.
Next remove the air and tightly seal the bag. Then massage the bag to combine and cover the steak with the marinade.
Now refrigerate the steak for at least two hours, up to 24 hours if you have the time. The longer the steak marinates, the more the flavors meld and tenderize the beef.
Put the Instant Pot on the sauté mode. Add the vegetable oil and let it heat up (2-3 minutes).
Place the meat in an even layer and sauté for 2 minutes per side. Remove the meat and set aside. Continue sautéing until all of the meat is browned.
Place all of the steak back into the Instant Pot and set it to the meat setting for 20 minutes. Once it is done, mix in the green onions.
Finally, garnish with the sesame seeds. This is optional, but highly recommended!
How Can I Make the Korean Beef Bulgogi on a Stovetop?
Season and marinate your beef as the recipe calls for. Preheat a cast-iron pan or skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, brush the marinated meat with vegetable oil then place it in the pan, cooking until it’s browned.
Flip the meat and do the same to the other side until you have a nice brown sear. Remove the meat and set it aside. When all of the meat has that caramelized crust, place it all back into the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and let it simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Then proceed to mix in the green onions and garnish with sesame seeds if desired.
Korean Beef Bulgogi Recipe made with tender and juicy marinated pieces of beef. All of the sweet and savory Korean flavors of the bulgogi beef from the undertones of the pear, brown sugar, and soy sauce.
- 2 pounds Steak, thinly cut (see notes on cut of steak)
- 1 small Pear, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon Gochujang paste
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 3 Green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds, (optional) for garnish
- Using a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine the steak, pear, brown sugar, soy sauce, minced garlic, ginger, and gochujang paste.
- Remove the air and tightly seal the bag. Massage the bag to combine and cover the steak with the marinade.
- Refrigerate the steak for at least two hours, up to 24 hours if time permits.
- Put the Instant Pot on the saute mode. Add the vegetable oil and let it heat up (2-3 minutes). Place the meat in an even layer and saute for 2 minutes per side. Remove the meat and set aside. Continue sauteing until all of the meat is browned.
- Place all of the meat back into the Instant Pot and set it to the meat setting for 20 minutes. Once it is done, mix in the green onions.
- Garnish with the sesame seeds.
Ribeye steak is ideal for this recipe, however, virtually any cut of steak will suffice as long as it is cut as thin as possible.
Cut steak in ¼" strips or smaller.
See post for stovetop method.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ziploc Freezer Bags with New Grip 'n Seal Technology, Gallon, 28 Count
Kikkoman Soy Sauce, 10 oz
CJ Haechandle Gochujang, Hot Pepper Paste, 500g (Korean Spicy Red Chile Paste, 1.1 lb.)
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
RJUN Kitchen Chef's Knives 8 Inches Ergonomic Juglans Regia Wood Handle German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife and Gift Box
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 502Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 814mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 41g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.