Beef fried rice is a stir fry of tender beef, peppers, onions, garlic, and egg tossed in a sweet and savory sauce. This quick and easy one-pan meal is better than takeout!
Beef fried rice is a quick way to feed a family on a busy weeknight. It is a flavorful meal of juicy, tender beef, fluffy scrambled eggs, and assorted vegetables with toasted rice. Add a mouthwatering sauce and each forkful is better than the last!
This will definitely become a top requested dinner and you will be more than happy to make it!
- Why We Love This Beef Fried Rice Recipe:
- Ingredients You Need:
- What Kind of Beef is Best for Beef Fried Rice?
- Instructions to make Beef Fried Rice:
- Alternatives and Variations:
- How to Serve Beef Fried Rice
- Storing and Reheating:
- More Asian Inspired Recipes to Try
- 📖 Recipe
- Be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this recipe! I would love to see your creation, and give you a shoutout!
Why We Love This Beef Fried Rice Recipe:
Easy One Skillet Meal! Start by sauteing veggies then add in your meat, rice, and sauce. Dinner will be set in just 20 minutes with one pan, less mess, and no stress!
Better than Takeout! This is an affordable way to enjoy restaurant-inspired food. Plus, you get to modify it for your taste buds. It is also healthier!
A Great Way to Use Leftovers! Clean out the fridge when you make beef fried rice. Do not let those leftovers go to waste! Remix beef and rice into a new, delicious meal instead. It saves you a ton of prep time too!
Ingredients You Need:
- Vegetable oil: Use a neutral oil to saute the onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Red and yellow bell pepper: They should be diced.
- Aromatics: Use minced garlic and diced onions.
- Beef: Cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Sesame oil: Adds a nutty flavor that enhances the other flavors in this beef fried rice recipe.
- Rice: It should be day-old cooked rice. Ensure it is chilled before adding it to the skillet. Leftover white rice would be perfect!
- Eggs: Scrambled eggs add flavor, protein, and color.
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste.
- Chopped green onions: Add to garnish for a pop of color.
Sauce for Beef Fried Rice
Reserve half for serving.
- Soy sauce: Adds a deep, rich quality to the sauce. If salt levels are a concern, use low sodium instead.
- BBQ sauce: For a spicy tangy flavor.
- Honey: Adds sweetness.
- Black pepper: For a kick of spice.
What Kind of Beef is Best for Beef Fried Rice?
Since this is a quick meal, opt for a tender cut of beef like sirloin or thinly sliced flank steak. Ground beef would be a good option too. But if you are using cooked beef, this Texas-style smoked brisket or my beloved pot roast would be tasty additions!
Leftover steak and leftover brisket are great to use in this fried rice recipe. Since the meat is already cold, it will be easy to cut into bite size pieces too.
Instructions to make Beef Fried Rice:
Add vegetable oil to a large skillet over medium high heat, allow it to heat up for at least one minute.
Gently add the diced onion and red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper into the oil and saute for about 1-2 minutes just until they are almost soft. Then add in the minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Stir continuously so that the garlic does not burn.
Then add your beef directly into the skillet with the vegetables and garlic. Saute the meat for 1-2 minutes just to heat it through. If you are using ground beef, it should be cooked and drained, then you can move directly to the next step.
Pour the sesame oil into the skillet and let it heat up for about one minute. Then pour the day old rice directly into the oil.
Use your wooden spoon or spatula to break up any large pieces of rice. Then stir it continuously to fully incorporate all of the ingredients.
Move the fried rice to one side of the skillet, and crack the two eggs into the vacant side. Use your spatula to scramble the eggs directly in the skillet. Once they are almost cooked through, begin mixing them in with the fried rice.
Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce for your fried rice. Pour half of the sauce directly into the skillet and mix it together thoroughly. Reserve the remaining to serve with your rice.
Garnish with green onions if desired. Finally, enjoy!
Alternatives and Variations:
- Rice: Try a variety of leftover rice including basmati, long grain, jasmine rice, or brown rice. Or instead of using traditional rice, you can use cauliflower rice.
- Vegetables: Vegetables: For added nutrition, include a blend of veggies like frozen peas, corn, carrots, celery, or broccoli.
- Spice: For extra heat add a bit of Sriracha or chili oil. A little goes a long way.
- Vegetarian Fried Rice: Omit the beef and use tofu instead.
- Kimchi: For a sour twist, add homemade kimchi.
- Additional flavors: You can choose to add other flavors such as oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, and ginger.
- Lots of beef fried rice recipes use a wok but it is not necessary. Just make sure you use a non-stick skillet.
- Day old rice is best for beef fried rice.
- Use high heat to prevent the rice from steaming and getting too soft.
How to Serve Beef Fried Rice
Storing and Reheating:
Once the beef fried rice has cooled completely, store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Consume it within five days. To freeze, store leftovers in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw frozen rice in the fridge overnight.
When you want to reheat, warm it up on a skillet with a bit of oil over medium heat or microwave.
What is the secret to fried rice?
The best fried rice includes leftover, cold rice because the chilled grains lack moisture. This results in crispy rice. If you use fresh or warm rice, then it would be mushy and clump up.
What meat goes well with fried rice?
Fried rice is a versatile dish so you can add beef, chicken, pork, or shrimp. Use whatever meat you are craving or have on hand.
What makes the fried rice brown?
The rice is essentially toasted in the skillet so that adds color but soy sauce and sesame oil contribute to the hue as well.
More Asian Inspired Recipes to Try
- Quick and Easy Beef and Broccoli
- Korean Beef Bulgogi in the Instant Pot
- Easy and Delicious Vermicelli Bowls
- Homemade Lumpia (Filipino spring rolls)
- Food Court Style Asian noodles
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- ½ medium Onion, diced
- ½ cup Red and yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Beef, cut into bite size pieces(cooked leftover brisket, steak, roast, or even cooked ground beef will work)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 3 cups Rice, day old cooked and cold
- 2 large Eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions to garnish
SAUCE FOR BEEF FRIED RICE
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- Add vegetable oil to a skillet over medium high heat, allow it to heat up for at least one minute.
- Gently add the diced onion and red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper into the oil and saute for about 1-2 minutes just until they are almost soft. Then add in the minced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Stir continuously so that the garlic does not burn.
- Next, add your beef directly into the skillet with the vegetables and garlic. Saute the meat for 1-2 minutes just to heat it through. If you are using ground beef, it should be cooked and drained, and you can move directly to the next step.
- Pour the sesame oil into the skillet and let it heat up for about one minute. Pour the day old rice directly into the oil.
- Use your wooden spoon or spatula to break up any large pieces of rice. Stir it continuously to fully incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Move the fried rice to one side of the skillet, and crack the two eggs into the vacant side. Use your spatula to scramble the eggs directly in the skillet. Once they are almost cooked through, begin mixing them in with the fried rice.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce for your fried rice. Pour half of the sauce directly into the skillet and mix it together thoroughly. Reserve the remaining to serve with your rice.
- Garnish with green onions if desired. And enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kadoya Sesame Oil, 22.10 Fl Oz
Kikkoman Soy Sauce, 10 Fl Oz
Professional Kitchen Knives High Carbon Stainless Steel Chef Knife Set,3PCS Ultra Sharp Japanese Knife with Sheath,Ergonomic Pakkawood Handle Elegant Gift Box for Home or Restaurant
Wood Cutting Board Set - Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove - Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables | Heavy Duty Serving Tray w/Handles (3)
Oster 2124087 DiamondForce Electric Wok, 4.7-Quart, Black
Legend Cast Iron Skillet with Lid | Large 12” Frying Pan with Glass Lid & Silicone Handle for Oven
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.