Shredded beef ragu with Instant Pot method is made with tender and juicy pieces of beef, swimming in a rich and savory tomato sauce. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta to make it a complete meal.
One thing I know, and two things for sure, it is smoldering hot in south Florida! Now that the weather is heating up, it is time to pull out any and every cooking gadget to help combat the heat.
It was only right to pull out the Instant Pot to help make this shredded beef ragu recipe. It was made in just under an hour, and was absolutely delicious!
What if I do not own an Instant Pot?
An Instant Pot is just the brand name for a pressure cooker. So any pressure cooker will work for this recipe. Do not worry though, if you do not own either, the good ol' oven will work just as well!
The point of the Instant Pot (as mentioned above), is to cut down on cooking time. Another reason I love it, is because it does not heat up the entire house when using it!
How to cook the shredded beef ragu in the oven:
To cook the beef in the oven, you will follow the exact recipe, except using an oven safe dish versus an Instant Pot. I highly recommend using a large dutch oven or deep cast iron skillet if you own one.
Simply season, and sear the meat as directed. Next, cover with all of the sauces. If the dish you are using has a lid, cover the dish with it prior to placing it in the oven. Aluminum foil can also be used in place of a lid if necessary.
The cooking times may vary if using the oven instead of the Instant Pot. Bake the meat at 375 degrees for one hour. Remove and check the liquid level. If the sauce becomes too thick, add additional water or broth to thin it out (about one to two tablespoons at a time).
Place the dish back in the oven and cook for an additional hour. The meat should be easy to shred with two forks, or using tongs. Once this tenderness is achieved, it is done!
What to serve with the ragu:
We always enjoy this as a complete meal. So cook as directed, then serve it over some mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta! In terms of side dishes, here are some great ideas:
- 2 pound Beef roast, chuck roast or cut of beef
- 1 whole Onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 28 ounce can Crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 cup Beef broth
- 1 cup Red wine, merlot or cabernet
- 2 cups Water
- 2 whole Bay leaves
Seasoning for Beef
- 3 tablespoons Seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Start the Instant Pot on saute mode. Cut the roast into large chunks, no need to make them even. Add the beef to a large bowl, coat with olive oil and all of the seasonings: seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cinnamon.
- Using tongs or hands, turn the meat over and over until it is coated evenly with the seasoning.
- Add the meat into the instant pot in one even layer to sear, do not over crowd as this can be done in steps. Sear on all sides until brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove the seared beef and set aside on a clean plate. Continue with the rest of the meat until all pieces are seared.
- Once all pieces of beef are seared, add them back into the instant pot. Next add the carrots, celery, and onion as well.
- Pour all of the wet ingredients directly over the meat. The Crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, wine, and water.
- Mix well until it is all combined thoroughly. Place the bay leaves into the pot. Cover and set to meat mode or pressure cook for one hour.
- Remove the lid and the meat should be fork tender. Shred with two forks or using tongs.
If you do not own an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, meat can be cooked in an oven safe dish at 375 degrees for two hours. SEE POST FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS.
Leftover beef will work great in this recipe as well.
Serve this meat over pasta, rice, or mash potatoes for a complete meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
365 Everyday Value, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Mediterranean Blend, 33.8 fl oz
TUO Chef's Knife, Kitchen Vegetable Meat Knives, German X50CrMoV15 Stainless Steel, Full Tang Ergonomic Pakkawood Handle, Razor Sharp Stain Rust Resistant, Fiery Series, 7 inch with Gift Box
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
StarPack Basics Silicone Kitchen Tongs (9-Inch & 12-Inch) - Stainless Steel with Non-Stick Silicone Tips, High Heat Resistant to 480°F, For Cooking, Serving, Grill, BBQ & Salad (Teal Blue)
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer (IP-DUO60), Stainless Steel/Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 36g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.