Achieve Restaurant Style Mexican Rice in under 30 minutes in the comfort of your own home! Delicious fluffy rice, made with the perfect seasonings and spices; just like your favorite Mexican restaurant!
When we’re at a Mexican restaurant, it’s not uncommon to ask for double rice, hold the beans! The rice is seriously the best part. It only made sense to learn how to perfect the recipe. One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can whip it up in under 30 minutes.
Even better, the Mexican rice has a super authentic flavor thanks to the Knorr Tomato Chicken Bouillon and other spices. Most often, you can find ground cumin, orageno, and some sort of chili powder in Mexican dishes. With this rice, the Knorr provides most of the flavor
Let’s get into what you will need:
- Long grain rice
- Mixed vegetables- frozen, not canned
- Chopped onion
- Knorr Tomato Chicken Bouillon– this is a MUST!
- Garlic powder
- Ground cumin
- Squeeze of lime
How to make make the rice nice and fluffy:
One important step to take when making any rice, is to rinse it first. Rinsing the rice helps get some of the starch off it. Starch in rice is the main reason why rice becomes sticky and clumpy. This kind of rice is popular in Asian dishes.
Another important step is to saute the rice in hot oil. Sauteing the rice prior to adding the water helps it stay separated while cooking. Once the rice is sauteed in the oil, then add the vegetables- including the onion, and all of the seasonings.
Lastly, add the water.After adding in the water, stir it all up and bring it to a light boil. When it begins to boil, turn the heat to low and put the lid on the pan. Let this simmer away with the lid on, low heat for about 12-15 mins. After 12-15 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and let is sit, covered up for at least five minutes.
DO NOT open the lid while the rice is cooking. Furthermore, do not stir the rice while it’s cooking. Even after you remove the pan from the heat- let it sit for at least 5 minutes. This step allows the rice to continue cooking and absorb any more moisture from the liquids.
Finally, remove the lid and fluff it with a fork. Fluff it, don’t stir! Fluffing (that word is weird), anyway, fluffing the rice will help separate each piece.
Serve the rice as a side dish to go with your favorite taco recipe, flautas, or any other Mexican entree!
- 2 cups White long grain rice
- 1 ½ tablespoon Olive oil
- ¼ medium Onion, diced
- 1 cup Mixed vegetables, frozen
- ½ tablespoon Ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Chicken with tomato flavor bouillon, Knorr brand
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 4 cups Water
- 1 squeeze of Lime
- Using a fine mesh strainer, rinse the rice thoroughly under water. Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the rice into the hot oil and saute for 5 minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Next add all of the vegetables, onion, and all of the seasonings.
- Stir the rice to combine it all. Gently pour in the water and give it one final stir to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Bring the water to a slight boil and then turn the heat down to low. Add the lid and continue to simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Once the time is up, immediately remove the rice from the heat. Keep the lid on and allow the rice to sit for at least 5 minutes without touching it.
- Squeeze the lime into the rice and then fluff it up by using a fork.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.