Homemade chalupas with a light airy shell and delicious fillings. Taste just like the Taco Bell chalupa- if not better!
How do you celebrate taco Tuesday?
Well, with homemade chalupas of course! These homemade chalupas have a light and airy shell, with all of our favorite fillings and toppings. One of the most popular items on Taco Bell’s menus are the chalupas. There’s something about that fluffy, semi-soft shell that does it for us.
No need to be intimidated by these chalupa shells, they were much easier to make than you may think. Anytime a recipe involves flour and a rolling pin, we know we’re in for some fun! It really isn’t possible to not make a slight mess when flour and a rolling pin are involved! That’s the fun part about this recipe though, flour strewn all about, and doughy goodness being stretched.
Our favorite part about these homemade chalupas are most certainly the filling, and the toppings. For this recipe, we decided to go with some shredded chicken for the filling. It is not just regular schmegular chicken though. We seasoned the chicken liberally with our homemade taco seasoning. Then to add another layer of flavor, we added a couple chopped chipotle peppers to the shredded chicken.
Toppings for the homemade chalupas:
This is where the homemade chalupa magic happens. Add any toppings you like, but our chalupas were complete with shredded lettuce, diced onions, some slices of avocados, and cheese.
Add your favorite fillings and toppings to these homemade chalupa shells. Just remember, you definitely don’t have to wait for taco Tuesday to make them!
- 5 cups Flour
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 tablespoons Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Vegetable oil, for frying
Filling & Topping
- 3 Chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 Chipotle peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Homemade taco seasoning, see recipe below
- 1 cup Lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Water
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add butter, using hands or a pastry cutter, mix butter and flour until crumbly mixture forms.
- Add milk and mix until dough begins to form.
- Form into balls, lightly flour a flat surface. Roll out dough until 1/4 inch thickness is obtained.
- Using pizza cutter, cut dough into a rough circle.
- Fry chalupa shells for 2-3 mins per side, one at a time, using tongs to food over into taco shell shape.
- Once golden brown and lightly crispy, Drain excess oil on paper towels or baking rack.
- Add your favorite fillings and toppings.
- Season chicken liberally with homemade taco seasoning.
- Add oil to a skillet, fry chicken for 7 mins per side. Remove from skillet to cool
- Using two forks, shred chicken.
- Add chicken, chipotle pepper, and water back to the skillet. Simmer on low for 10 mins.
PRODUCTS USED FOR THIS RECIPE:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission for my referral at NO extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Razzle Dazzle Life!
PLEASE PIN THIS RECIPE TO SAVE AND SHARE WITH FRIENDS!