Homemade chalupas with a light airy shell and delicious fillings. Taste just like the Taco Bell chalupa- if not better!
How do you celebrate taco Tuesday?
Well, with homemade chalupas of course! These homemade chalupas have a light and airy shell, with all of our favorite fillings and toppings. One of the most popular items on Taco Bell's menus are the chalupas. There's something about that fluffy, semi-soft shell that does it for us.
Are Chalupa shells hard to make?
No need to be intimidated by these chalupa shells, they were much easier to make than you may think. Anytime a recipe involves flour and a rolling pin, we know we're in for some fun! It really isn't possible to not make a slight mess when flour and a rolling pin are involved! That's the fun part about this recipe though, flour strewn all about, and doughy goodness being stretched.
What kind of filling should I add?
Our favorite part about these homemade chalupas are most certainly the filling, and the toppings. For this recipe, we decided to go with some shredded chicken for the filling.
It is not just regular old chicken though. We seasoned the chicken liberally with our homemade taco seasoning. Then to add another layer of flavor, we added a couple chopped chipotle peppers to the shredded chicken.
Toppings for the homemade chalupas:
This is where the homemade chalupa magic happens. Add any toppings you like, but our chalupas were complete with shredded lettuce, diced onions, some slices of avocados, and cheese.
Add your favorite fillings and toppings to these homemade chalupa shells. Just remember, you definitely don't have to wait for taco Tuesday to make them!
- 5 cups Flour
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- 2 tablespoons Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Vegetable oil, for frying
Filling & Topping
- 3 Chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 Chipotle peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Seasoned salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon Chili powder
- ½ tablespoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil, to sear chicken
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Lettuce, shredded
- 1 Tomato, diced
- ½ Onion, diced
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add butter, using hands or a pastry cutter, mix butter and flour until crumbly mixture forms.
- Add milk and mix until dough begins to form.
- Form into balls, lightly flour a flat surface. Roll out dough until ¼ inch thickness is obtained.
- Using pizza cutter, cut dough into a rough circle.
- Fry chalupa shells for 2-3 mins per side, one at a time, using tongs to food over into taco shell shape.
- Once golden brown and lightly crispy, Drain excess oil on paper towels or baking rack.
- Add your favorite fillings and toppings.
- Season chicken liberally with all of the seasonings.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet, sear the chicken for 7 mins per side. Remove it from the skillet and place it in a bowl to cool.
- Once the chicken is cool enough, use two forks, or tongs, to shred the chicken.
- Add the chicken, diced chipotle pepper, and water back to the skillet. Simmer on low for 10 mins.
- Assemble the chalupas with the chicken and all of the desired toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
French Rolling Pin (17 Inches) –WoodenRoll Pin for Fondant, Pie Crust, Cookie, Pastry, Dough –Tapered Design & Smooth Construction - Essential Kitchen Utensil
Kaluns Tongs For Cooking With Silicone Tips, 4 Piece Salad Tongs, Red, Stainless Steel 7-9-12 Inch Tong With Bonus Silicone Spatula, Non-stick, Heat resistant Serving Utensils
Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 2-Piece Set (10-Inch and 12-Inch) Oven Safe Cookware - 2 Heat-Resistant Holders - Indoor and Outdoor Use - Grill, Stovetop, Induction Safe
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
SAKEN Paring Knife, 3.5 Inch - Ultra Sharp, High Carbon German Steel Knives - Luxury Gift Box
Meal Prep Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls Set, Home, Refrigerator, and Kitchen Food Storage Organizers | Ecofriendly, Reusable, Heavy Duty By WHYSKO (With Black Lids)
Serving Size:6 People
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1031Total Fat: 72gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 56gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 1308mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 30g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.