Zucchini lasagna is a low-carb alternative to a traditional lasagna recipe. Swap out lasagna noodles for thin zucchini slices and enjoy the cheesy, saucy flavor you love, with fewer carbs.
After one bite of this low-carb zucchini lasagna, you will not miss the pasta at all. The robust marinara meat sauce and cheeses give you all the flavors of traditional lasagna without the excess calories and sugar of carbs.
Made with "zucchini noodles" instead of lasagna noodles, this recipe is perfect for those trying to lose weight or indulge while on a keto diet.
Why We Love This Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
Quick and Easy to Prepare. Making nutritious food does not have to be complicated. With just 10 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes in the oven, this healthy zucchini lasagna is on the dinner table in no time!
Tasty Alternative to Traditional Lasagna. The zucchini soaks up all the rich flavors from the homemade marinara sauce. The cheeses create that familiar lasagna taste as they melt right into our faux noodles. It also gets nice and tender, but maintains a nice al dente texture, much like traditional pasta.
Healthy Comfort Food. The best part about this dish: you can eat this zucchini lasagna without the guilt of traditional pasta, and still feel completely full and satisfied. It is also gluten-free and keto-friendly.
- Zucchini: The main ingredient of this low-carb lasagna recipe is packed with nutrients. Slice the zucchini lengthwise.
- Mozzarella cheese: This adds gooey melted layers of cheese.
- Black olives: Add sliced black olives for a savory, salty pop of flavor.
Marinara Meat Sauce
- Marinara sauce: Try my simple homemade marinara sauce with hearty tomatoes, herbs, and spices. Use your favorite store-bought tomato sauce for a quicker (yet not as tasty) alternative.
- Ground beef: Cook the meat over medium-high heat in a large skillet and drain the excess grease before making the zucchini lasagna. Do not add salt because there is plenty of flavor in the sauce.
Ricotta Cheese Mixture
- Ricotta cheese: Use full-fat ricotta cheese. Low-fat ricotta cheese tends to have more carbs. You can also use cottage cheese as an alternative.
- Egg: This thickens the creamy cheese filling.
- Seasoning: I sprinkle it with Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
Instructions to Make Zucchini Lasagna:
Preheat the Oven & Prepare the Baking Dish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray. Add about ¼ cup marinara meat sauce to the bottom of the dish (add sliced olives to sauce if desired).
Prepare Ricotta Cheese Mixture
In a medium bowl, add garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and egg to the ricotta cheese. Mix well.
Layer Zucchini Lasagna
Begin layering zucchini strips in a single layer. (This should be a thin layer.) Top with ricotta cheese, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese, then add more marinara meat sauce. Continue layers until the baking dish is filled (should have at least 3 layers). Then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the top.
Bake Low-Carb Zucchini Lasagna
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes (additional liquid will begin to thicken). ENJOY!
Alternatives and Variations:
- Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna: For a meatless meal, omit the ground beef and use my homemade vegetarian marinara sauce. To keep the dish hearty, replace it with a meat alternative like Beyond Meat or a vegetable like mushrooms. Alternatively, add a layer of sliced eggplant or squash.
- Other Ground Meat: For a meatier lasagna, add ground Italian sausage. For a lower-fat alternative, try ground turkey.
- Cheese mixture: Add parmesan cheese to the ricotta mixture for a nutty twist. You can also add fresh herbs like fresh basil or oregano to the mix for a deeper flavor.
- When selecting zucchini, ensure it is firm, ripe, and bruise-free.
- Do the prep work low carb zucchini lasagna ahead of time so when it's time for dinner, you just throw it in the oven and have a hot meal on the table in no time!
- In order to avoid excess liquid, ensure the zucchini slices do not overlap when layering the lasagna. Otherwise, the lasagna will be wet and watery.
Storing and Reheating:
Store leftover zucchini lasagna in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat leftovers, place them in the microwave or a preheated oven set to 350 degrees F until warmed through.
Why is my zucchini lasagna watery?
In order to remove excess moisture, start by patting the zucchini dry with paper towels prior to layering them in the dish. Once the lasagna comes out of the oven, it will be watery so let it set for about ten minutes prior to serving.
Some of the excess water will dissolve but if it is still too watery, carefully drain it in the sink. Alternatively, use a turkey baster to suction out some of the liquid.
How do you slice zucchini thin for lasagna?
Cut zucchini vertically with a mandolin, vegetable peeler, or sharp knife. Chop either end then place the zucchini on a cutting board, and slice it thinly, lengthwise.
Is zucchini good for keto?
Absolutely! A 1 cup serving of zucchini is only 3.9 grams of carbs, making it perfect for the keto diet. Zucchini recipes are some of the best for low-carb diets.
More Low-Carb Recipes to Try
- Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Steak
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Cheeseburger Salad
- Low-Carb Breakfast Idea
- Cheeseburger Salad
Zucchini lasagna is a low-carb alternative to a traditional lasagna recipe. Swap out lasagna noodles for thin zucchini slices and enjoy the cheesy, saucy flavor you love, with less carbs.
- 3 small Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 6 Black olives, sliced (optional)
Marinara Meat Sauce
- 3 cups Marinara sauce
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
Ricotta Cheese Mixture
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese, or cottage cheese
- 1 Egg
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add about ¼ cup marinara meat sauce to the bottom of the dish (add sliced olives to sauce if desired)
- Add garlic powder, italian seasoning, and egg to the ricotta cheese. Mix well.
- Begin layering zucchini strips in single layer. Top with ricotta cheese, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese, then add more marinara meat sauce.
- Continue layers until baking dish is filled up (should have at least 3 layers).
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over the top, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes (additional liquid will begin to thicken).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
SENSARTE 12 Inch Nonstick Deep Frying Pan,5 Qt Non Stick Saute Pan with Lid,Large Skillet Pan,NonStick Jumbo Cooker,Cooking Pan Chefs Pan Cookware for All Stove Tops,Induction Compatible,PFOA Free
Silicone Spatulas for Nonstick Cookware, GEEKHOM 600F Heat Resistant Extra Large and Wide Flexible Spatulas Rubber Turners, Kitchen Cooking Utensils Set for Pancake, Eggs, Fish, Omelet(4 Pack, Black)
DOWAN Ceramic Bakeware, Rectangular Baking Dish Roasting Lasagna Pans with Handles, Deep Casserole Dish Oven Safe for Cooking, Baking, Cake, Dinner, 11 x 7 x 3 Inches, Airy Blue
Professional Box Grater, Stainless Steel with 4 Sides, Best for Parmesan Cheese, Vegetables, Ginger, XL Size, Black
imarku Chef Knife - Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch Chef's Knives
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
Serving Size:4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 210gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 59g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.