All the flavors of chicken pot pie loaded into this delicious soup. Complete with chicken breast chunks, carrots, onion, and celery. In a rich and creamy broth that is thickened with almond flour.
SOUP SEASON IS UPON US!!!
This makes me so excited y'all! Truthfully, I could eat soup every single day, for every single meal! So when you see a lot of soup or stew recipes popping-up this fall, promise to stick with me. My kids make fun of me because I eat so much soup, it's that serious!
Chicken pot pie soup is one of my all time favorites. It was only right that I attempt to make a healthy version. Instead of adding noodle, or any sort of dough- we just omitted them. Stay with me here! I was a bit skeptical at first too. Trust me when I say, it was REALLY delicious.
Basically, the seasoning and abundance of chicken and vegetables help make up for the lack of carbs. Typical chicken pot pie soup is thickened with heavy cream. If you're following a low-carb diet, heavy cream is definitely okay. However, instead of fattening it up even more, we decided to thicken it using almond flour.
How to make the low carb chicken pot pie soup:
Get a large stock pot and add your chicken and water. Boil the chicken for about twenty minutes, or until it is cooked all the way through.
Next, start chopping your veggies. Dice the carrots, celery, and onion. Set them aside. Once chicken is done, remove it from the water and set it aside on a cutting board.
Skim the water the chicken boiled in if any fat or deposits floated to the top. Add the vegetables to the water and simmer on medium for 20 minutes.
When chicken cools down, rough chop it into bite size pieces. Place the chicken back into the pot of water and veggies. Season the soup and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
While the soup is sim-simmering away, mix the almond flour and water in a separate bowl or cup. Mix thoroughly until flour is fully dissolved.
Pour the almond flour slurry into the pot and mix well. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes- and WAH LAH! Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup is born.
Me personally, I like my soup with A LOT of hot sauce, but you eat yours exactly how you like! Of course if you're into carbs, feel free to add egg noodles or make some dumplings to go into it.
- 2 Chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 4 cups Water, to boil chicken and reserve for stock
- 1 cup Almond flour, to thicken
- 2 whole Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks Celery, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
Seasoning (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Dried parsley
- Boil the chicken in water for 20 minutes (or until cooked through). Remove from water and set aside to cool. Reserve the water for the base of the soup.
- Skim any residue from chicken off of the top of the water. Add chopped vegetables to the water the chicken cooked in.
- Chop the chicken and add it back to the pot. Add seasonings and mix well. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- In a separate bowl or cup, combine almond flour and 1 cup water and mix until flour is dissolved. Add flour mixture to the pot and stir well.
- Continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Badia Black Pepper Table Grind, 16 Ounce
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Onion Powder, 22 Ounce
Sensarte Stock Pot Nonstick 4.5 Quart Soup Pot Casserole Pot with Lid Healthy Pasta Pot Cooking Pot Black Sauce Pot with Woodgrain Bakelite Handle, All Stove Compatible Cookware, Easy to Clean
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
SAKEN Paring Knife, 3.5 Inch - Ultra Sharp, High Carbon German Steel Knives - Luxury Gift Box
BakeGood Almond Flour Blend, 2lb, 1-to-1 Replacement for All Purpose Flour, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Kosher