Cranberry salad is a chilled, sweet, creamy blend of sugar, marshmallows, pineapple, and cool whip. Enjoy it as a delicious holiday side dish or a quick and easy dessert.
This creamy cranberry salad is a delicious fruity treat. I usually serve it during the holidays because that is when everyone is craving cranberries. But this is also the perfect way to satiate a sweet tooth at any time!
Cranberry salad is like ambrosia for cranberry lovers. The sweetness of the other ingredients mellow the tart flavor of the cranberries. And the creaminess will have you scooping up spoonful after spoonful.
- Why We Love This Cranberry Salad Recipe:
- Ingredients you need:
- Instructions to make Cranberry Salad:
- Alternatives and Variations:
- More Dessert Recipes to Try
- 📖 Recipe
- Be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this recipe! I would love to see your creation, and give you a shoutout!
Why We Love This Cranberry Salad Recipe:
Perfect for the Holiday Season! I prefer this instead of homemade cranberry sauce. This light, sweet treat will complement a heavy, savory meal like a Thanksgiving turkey or a Christmas dinner roast.
An Easy Dessert! Prep for this snack is super simple. Whip this up in just minutes so it can be enjoyed whenever the craving strikes!
Delicious! This yummy cranberry mixture is tossed with sugar, fluffy marshmallows, whipping cream and juicy pineapples so it is a mouthwatering treat.
Ingredients you need:
- Cranberries: You can use fresh cranberries or thawed frozen cranberries.
- Sugar: Use granulated white sugar.
- Pineapple: Use crushed pineapples.
- Marshmallows: Use bite sized mini marshmallows. They are perfect because they do not overpower the dish.
- Cool whip: Thaw it for easy mixing.
Instructions to make Cranberry Salad:
Rinse and Dice Cranberries
Rinse the cranberries in order to remove all debris.
Then use a food processor or a knife to finely dice up the whole cranberries. You do not want them to turn into a sauce, just a very fine dice.
Then add the diced cranberries into a medium bowl. Next add the sugar, the crushed pineapples and mini marshmallows.
Mix it together until everything is combined. Now fold in the cool whip topping. Gently combine it until everything is coated and mixed thoroughly.
Chill Cranberry Salad
Finally, refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Alternatives and Variations:
Play around with the flavor and texture of this cranberry salad recipe.
- Cranberry Jello Salad: Add cherry or raspberry jell-o (although cranberry jell-o is great if you can find it).
- Other fruits: You can add more fruits like pears, raspberries, green apples, and mandarin oranges.
- Nuts: For a bit of crunch, top your cranberry salad with chopped pecans or walnuts. I also suggest toasted peanuts, pistachios, or shaved coconut.
- Creamy Base: Instead of whipped cream, you could use cream cheese, sour cream or even Greek yogurt.
- In order to streamline the process, prepare the simple ingredients ahead of time. Rinse and dice the cranberries. If using fresh pineapples, slice and crush them in advance. Then refrigerate them until you are ready to make the salad.
- Drain any added fruits so this dish is not watery.
- Do not skip the chilling process because the fruit salad needs time for the flavors to set.
Store leftover cranberry salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. I do not recommend freezing it because it will lose its creamy texture.
Can cranberry salad be made ahead of time?
Yes. It has to be made at least an hour in advance so the flavors have time to set in the fridge. But you can also make it up to 3 days in advance. Simply cover it and store it in the fridge.
Do cranberries need to be cooked for cranberry salad?
No. Raw cranberries are edible.
What is the difference between ambrosia and cranberry salad?
While ambrosia salad and cranberry salads are both fruit salads, ambrosia usually contains a variety of citrus fruits.
More Dessert Recipes to Try
- Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Apple Glazed Pull-Apart Bread
- Chocolate Heath Bar Cake
- Churro Dessert Tacos with Strawberries and Cream
- Oreo Chocolate Chip Brookies
- Cookies and Cream Chocolate Poke Cake
- 2 cups Cranberries, fresh or thawed frozen
- ¼ cup Sugar, granulated white sugar
- 1 cup Pineapple, crushed
- 3 cups Marshmallows, mini
- 1 tub Cool whip, thawed
- Rinse the cranberries very well to ensure that any debris is removed.
- Use a food processor or a knife to finely dice up the whole cranberries. You do not want them to turn into a sauce, just a very fine dice.
- Add the diced cranberries into a medium bowl. Next add the sugar, the crushed pineapples and mini marshmallows.
- Mix it together until everything is combined. Now fold in the cool whip topping. Gently combine it until everything is coated and mixed thoroughly.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
imarku Chef Knife - Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch Chef's Knives High Carbon German Stainless Steel Sharp Paring Knife with Ergonomic Handle
Wood Cutting Board Set - Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove - Kitchen Chopping Board for Meat (Butcher Block) Cheese and Vegetables | Heavy Duty Serving Tray w/Handles (3)
Cuisinart FP-8SV Elemental 8 Cup Food Processor, Silver
HANSGO Long Handle Wooden Cooking Mixing Oval Spoons, 6PCS 12 Inch Long Wooden Spoons Wooden Tasting Spoons Large Cooking Spoons
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 3gSugar: 42gProtein: 1g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.