Eggnog Tres Leches, or three milk cake, is a spongy and airy cake that is soaked in a bourbon infused eggnog mixture. It is then topped with a light and airy eggnog infused whip cream. Such a delicious treat to add to your dessert menus!
Table of contents
- What is a tres leches cake?
- Gather your ingredients to make the cake:
- Why did my cake collapse and shrink?
- Making the cake ahead of time:
- How to store the leftover tres leches cake:
- What if I am lactose intolerant?
Nothing screams HOLIDAY SEASON like a big cup of ice cold eggnog! So why not incorporate this silky treat into your baking? Low-and-behold, Eggnog Tres Leches!
What is a tres leches cake?
Tres Leches is a traditional Latino dessert. Tres means "three" in Spanish, and Leche means "milk." So it literally translates to three milk cake. It can be found in almost all Mexican bakeries and restaurants.
It is a soft and delicious sponge-like cake, that is soaked in three milks. Traditionally it is made with condensed milk, whole milk, and evaporated milk.
This creates a super dense and moist, delicious cake. Cover it in a whipped topping, and serve with your favorite drink. Although it is generally served as a celebration cake, whether a birthday, or a holiday, it has now made it's way into many households for any occasion.
Gather your ingredients to make the cake:
Here are the essentials you need to get together to make this tres leches cake:
- Eggs: you will need five eggs. You will separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Milk: whole milk or 2% should be used.
- Flour: all purpose flour is ideal for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Sugar: divide into ¾ cup and ¼ cup to use in egg yolks and egg white.
- Heavy Whipping Cream
Why did my cake collapse and shrink?
It is important to choose the correct dish when trying to achieve a sponge-like cake. Using a glass baking dish works best. Also, DO NOT SPRAY YOUR DISH WITH NONSTICK COOKING SPRAY!
If the baking dish is sprayed before cooking, the cake will tend to pull away from it while it cools down. By not spraying the dish, you ensure that the cake sort of sticks to the side so that it remains light and fluffy.
Another pro tip: do not over mix the egg whites into the cake batter! Be sure to gently fold the egg whites into the batter so that all of the air bubbles stay in tact. The egg whites act as a sort of lifting agent.
Making the cake ahead of time:
This cake can indeed be made ahead of time. Simply make the cake itself, bake it, and cover it with plastic wrap. Once it is covered, place it in the refrigerate for up to two days before pouring the eggnog over the top.
When you are ready to assemble the cake, remove the plastic wrap, poke the holes in the cake, and pour the eggnog all over it. Next, add the whipped topping and dust the cinnamon over the top.
How to store the leftover tres leches cake:
If the cake does not get eaten in one sitting, you can cover the dish with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. Keep it refrigerated for up to five days before discarding.
What if I am lactose intolerant?
There are substitutions for milk and eggnog that are lactose free. Check out your local grocer for these products, and simply use them as substitutes. It is also a good thing to note that this cake is a "three milk" cake, so it may not be a dessert you want to partake in.
You would love these White Chocolate Martinis to help wash down all this deliciousness too!
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup Sugar, use ¾ for egg yolks and ¼ for whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup Milk
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups Eggnog, reserve 1 cup to serve
- ¼ cup Bourbon (optional)
- 2 cups Heavy cream
- ¾ Powdered sugar
- ¼ cup Eggnog
- Ground cinnamon to dust the top of cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Get three separate mixing bowls out. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into separate bowls.
- In the first bowl, add the egg yolks and the ¾ cup of sugar. Using a hand mixer or whisk, beat the egg yolks with the sugar for 5-6 minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and milk until just combined. the mixture should be smooth and creamy. Set this aside.
- In the second bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until combined. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the dry ingredients and fold them in gently until combined. Set this aside.
- Whip the egg whites in the third bowl for about one minute. Begin to add in the ¼ cup of sugar a little at a time. Whip the egg white and sugar mixture until soft peaks are formed, about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the egg white mixture into the cake batter and gently fold it together. Fold the mixture gently until it is combined, being careful not to over mix and lose the air bubbles.
- Pour the cake batter into a 9x13 baking dish. Place it in the preheated oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Poke a toothpick in the middle of the cake, if the toothpick comes out dry, it is done.
- While the cake is cooling, make the whipped cream and combine the eggnog and bourbon (optional).
Whipped Cream & Eggnog
- Add the heavy cream and ¼ cup eggnog to a bowl and mix on high for 4-5 minutes. It will be ready when soft peaks are formed. Begin adding in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Stir to combine, and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour the eggnog in a separate bowl or cup. Add the bourbon directly into the eggnog and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Assemble the cake
- Once the cake has cooled down, use a fork to poke holes all over it. Take the eggnog and bourbon mixture and pour it all over the cake. Be sure to cover every piece.
- Top the cake with whipped cream, and spread it out evenly. Sprinle the top with the cinnamon.
- Serve a slice with additional eggnog to pour over the top if desired. Enjoy!
Do not spray the baking dish with non-stick spray or dust with flour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
OXO Good Grips Freezer-to-Oven Safe 3 Qt Glass Baking Dish with Lid, 9 x 13,Clear,9 x 13"
Electric Hand Mixer 5-Speed 300W Turbo,Kitchen Electric Mixer for Baking with Eject Function,Storage Base and 4 Stainless Steel Accessories for Whipping Mixing Cookies, Brownies, Cakes, Dough Batters
McCormick All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract, 1 fl oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 0gSugar: 30gProtein: 7g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.