Cookies and Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies are made easily with cake batter, chocolate chips, and crushed Oreo cookies. The perfect quick and easy dessert for any time!
If cookies n' cream flavor is your jam, then you have to try my Cookies and Cream Chocolate Poke Cake next! And while you're here, check out my other tasty homemade cookie recipes, like this Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, and these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies!
- Why We Love This Cookies and Cream Cookies Recipe:
- Why is it called Cookies and Cream?
- Ingredients you need:
- How to Make Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Alternatives and Variations:
- Storing and Reheating:
- Can cookies and cream cookie dough be made ahead of time?
- More Dessert Recipes to Try
- 📖 Recipe
- Be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook when you make this Cookies and Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe! I would love to see your creation, and give you a shoutout!
Cookies and cream is an iconic Oreo flavor used in everything from ice cream to candy bars. So of course I had to play around in the kitchen and come up with my own cookies and cream recipe.
First, I made them with the traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe, then just added in the Oreos. Although they were amazing, they definitely do not compare to this recipe with the cake mix! These Oreo chocolate chip cookies made with cake mix are perfect for when those late-night sweet tooth cravings kick in!
Why We Love This Cookies and Cream Cookies Recipe:
Absolutely Delicious! These soft, chewy cookies are packed with chocolate chunks and Oreo crumbs for a satisfying snack.
Made Quick & Easy! Ready in just 30 minutes, this is perfect for when you need a last-minute dessert. Using cake mix is the ultimate time-saving hack!
Family-Friendly Activity! Let the kids join in on the baking fun. They can scoop out the cookie dough or crush the Oreos.
Why is it called Cookies and Cream?
The origin of the flavor itself is debated, as Blue Bell and Dreyer's/Edy's have both made claims. Cookies and cream ice cream is a blend of vanilla ice cream and Oreo pieces but the phrase "cookies n' cream" was coined by South Dakota State University (a college known for mass-producing ice cream) in order to avoid copyright issues.
Ingredients you need:
- French vanilla cake mix: This is a MUST for this recipe. However, if your local store doesn't have French vanilla, just pick up regular vanilla cake mix. Classic chocolate chip cookies call for flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, brown sugar and many other ingredients but cake mix is the leavening agent.
- Unsalted butter: Use room temperature so it is easier to mix. But do not use melted butter because then they will spread too much in the oven.
- Egg: This acts as a binder to hold the ingredients together.
- Vanilla extract: All baked goods need a bit of this to balance the sweet flavor.
- Cream cheese: This provides a tart, creamy balance to go with the cake mix. Use room temperature for easier mixing.
- Oreo cookies: Use whichever variety of Oreos you want and crumble them.
- Chocolate chips: I use a blend of milk chocolate chips and white chocolate chips because it adds to the cookies and cream flavor. Use semi-sweet chocolate chips if you want to tone down the sweetness.
How to Make Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Combine Wet Ingredients
Combine the softened butter, egg, vanilla, and cream cheese in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix on medium speed until completely mixed. A creamy mixture should be formed.
Add the Oreo cookies to a large zipper bag and crush them using a rolling pin, or your hand. Crush them as fine, or as chunky as you prefer- just ensure there are still some chunks remaining. Set these aside.
Add Dry Ingredients to Cream Cheese Mixture
Next, add the cake mix into the cream cheese mixture. Blend on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Slowly add the crushed Oreo's and both chocolate chips and combine it into the batter by mixing with a spoon.
Using your hands, roll the dough into ½ inch balls and set aside. Refrigerate the rolled cookie dough for 10 minutes.
Bake Cookies and Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the cookie dough balls on a non-stick cookie tray or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, at least one inch apart. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes.
Remove them from the oven, and use a spatula to lightly press the cookies down immediately after removing them from the oven. Allow cookies to cool on a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough balls.
Alternatives and Variations:
- Cream Cheese Replacement: Instead of cream cheese, you can use ¼ cup plain yogurt and ¼ cup ricotta cheese.
- Oreos: You can use regular Oreos, double stuffed Oreos, Golden Oreos, or any other variety you like.
- Chocolate Chips: If you do not have chocolate chips, you can use crumbled Hershey's Cookies 'N' Creme Candy or a chocolate bar instead. You can also add extra chocolate chips to the top of freshly baked cookies.
- Use room temperature ingredients. Set out your ingredients at least 20 minutes before you begin so they can lose their chill. The ingredients will blend better and you will have soft cookies, which is always the goal.
- Do not overmix the cookie dough or your cookies may turn out tough.
- Cookies and cream cookies bake very quickly so be sure not to overbake them.
Storing and Reheating:
Store leftover Oreo chocolate chip cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week. For longer storage, flash freeze them by placing the cookie sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes or until they harden. Then place them in a freezer-safe bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To defrost, take them out of the fridge and let them soften at room temperature. Warm them up in 10-second intervals if you desire.
Can cookies and cream cookie dough be made ahead of time?
Absolutely! After chilling the dough for at least 10 minutes, scoop the dough into balls and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. For longer storage, freeze them. If baking the cookie dough straight from the freezer add an additional 2-3 minutes to the baking time.
What is the inside of an Oreo called?
The filling between Oreo cookies is called creme. This is because Oreo filling does not actually contain dairy or cream. The FDA does not allow foods that do not actually contain cream to use the term, hence "creme."
Is cookies and cream just vanilla and Oreos?
Cookies and cream is a combination of vanilla and any chocolate sandwich cookie. However, Oreos are the most popular cookie for this delicious combo.
More Dessert Recipes to Try
Cookies n' Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookies n' Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies made easy with cake batter, chocolate chips, and chocolate cookies. The perfect quick and easy dessert for anytime!
- 1 box French vanilla cake mix
- 1 stick Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 4 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups Oreo cookies, crumbled
- ½ cup Milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup White chocolate chips
- Combine the softened butter, egg, vanilla, and cream cheese in a large bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, mix on medium speed until completely mixed. A creamy mixture should be formed.
- Add the Oreo cookies to a large zipper bag and crush them using a rolling pin, or your hand. Crush them as fine, or as chunky as you prefer- just ensure there are still some chunks remaining. Set these aside
- Next, add the cake mix into the cream cheese mixture . Blend on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly add the crushed Oreo's and both chocolate chips and combine it into the batter by mixing with a spoon.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into ½ inch balls and set aside. Refrigerate the rolled cookie dough for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the cookie dough balls on a non-stick cookie tray, at least one inch apart.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and use a spatula to lightly press the cookies down immediately after removing them from the oven.
- Allow cookies to cool on a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough balls.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop
Meal Prep Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls Set, Home, Refrigerator, and Kitchen Food Storage Organizers | Ecofriendly, Reusable, Heavy Duty By WHYSKO (With Black Lids)
Wilton Easy Layers Sheet Cake Pan, 2-Piece Set
Nordic Ware Compact Ovenware Baking Sheet
Electric Hand Mixer 5-Speed 300W Turbo,Kitchen Electric Mixer for Baking with Eject Function,Storage Base and 4 Stainless Steel Accessories for Whipping Mixing Cookies, Brownies, Cakes, Dough Batters
Tebery 4 Pack Cooling Racks Baking Rack - 16" x 10"
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.
That first pic had me drooling!! Amazing recipe too!
Never would have thought to use cake batter. Thanks for the tip!
It makes the moistest cookies ever!
These cookies look amazing!! Delicious Dessert ideas!
These cookies are the bomb! so perfect in every way!
Yes! Thank you.
these cookies are so delicious and simply made! A fan fave here!
These cookies are too good! So easy to make and we can't stop eating them!
Yay! Thank you.
These look amazing! It's like a chocolate chip cookie and an Oreo had a delicious baby!
Erika | Black Girls Who Brunch
What a fun combination! Now I want these with some ice cream LOL.
Yes! They'd be amazing with ice cream!
Y-U-M-M-Y! I love everything about this and can't wait to give these a try!
This is the cookie worth getting up in the middle of the night for... DELICIOUS!
Yes, you're right!
Just found my favorite new cookie. Can't wait to try it.
STAHPPPPPP!!!! Just when I thought my favorite cookie couldn't get any better, you go and do this to me, Tamara! This were so perfect.
They are SO ADDICTING!
These cookies are amazing. We made these cookies as a family and it’s definitely my families new favorite sweet to eat!
Awesome! So happy you guys enjoyed them!