This Cheesesteak sandwich recipe is made with warm soft bread, perfectly melted cheese sauce, and tender steak. Leftover, or freshly made steak work perfectly for this recipe. Super simple and quick for a great weeknight meal.
Why we love these sandwiches
Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches are perfect for a weeknight meal. I mean, don't you just love a great sandwich!? We certainly do, especially when it's simple and filling.
This is the EASIEST Philly Cheesesteak recipe you may have ever found! All of the real Philly natives out there, don't shun me, because nothing about this Philly Cheesesteak is authentic!
Let's just call it "a spin on the ol' classic." Although it's not 100% authentic, I guarantee you it is absolutely delicious!
What you need for the Cheesesteak sandwich:
- Leftover steak, or make the steak fresh. The idea is to use a very thin cut of meat though, (ribeye is the best because it comes out very tender EVERY time)!
- Velveeta cheese sauce, buy the sauce pre-made, or buy a small block of Velveeta and follow instructions to prepare a cheese sauce. It is very simple, just add milk!
- Bell peppers and onions. Of course you can get them fresh and slice them; but as you know, I'm all about making life easy. So I always keep a frozen pepper blend on hand! You can also add sauteed mushrooms (optional)
The beautiful part about this recipe is that you can use leftover steak, or even chicken. The Velveeta cheese is the perfect pair to this sandwich, it creates that nice cheesy layer that every cheesesteak sandwich needs and deserves.
My local grocery stores sale these delicious loaves of bread, Cuban or Puerto Rican bread especially, for $1! Yes ONE dollar! It's bananas, and I buy one almost everyday to go with dinner.
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR...
And make this sandwich for dinner tonight! It is sure to make the whole family happy.
- 2 cups Steak, cooked and thinly sliced
- ½ Bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 cup Velveeta Cheese sauce , recipe below
- 1 loaf French bread, or 3 hoagie rolls
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise, (optional)
- ½ tablespoon Seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
Velveeta Cheese Sauce
- 4 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
- ½ cup Milk
Velveeta Cheese sauce
- Add cheese and milk to a saucepan and melt over medium heat. Stir frequently until completely melted.
- Warm olive oil in a skillet over medium-high, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add steak, bell pepper & onions, and seasoning. Cook until bell peppers and onions are soft and steak starts to get a nice crusty appearance.
- If using a whole loaf of bread, cut a slit directly down the side of the loaf, just enough to have an opening. Next, cut the loaf into thirds. They should each end up being about six inch pieces.
- Slather mayo on both sides of the bread. Top with steak and pepper mixture, and then pour cheese sauce over the top
- Place the sandwiches on a baking dish and place them in the oven for about 7-10 minutes, just enough to warm the bread.
- Remove from the oven, and enjoy!
Any form of American melting cheese works great in this recipe (store brand Velveeta)
This recipe used French bread, but any loaf sold at your local grocery store will work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Velveeta Original Pasteurized Cheese (16 oz Box)
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
Orblue Serrated Bread Knife Ultra-Sharp Stainless Steel Professional Grade Bread Cutter - Cuts Thick Loaves Effortlessly - Ideal for Slicing Bread, Bagels, Cake (8-Inch Blade with 4.9-Inch Handle)
Nordic Ware Compact Ovenware Baking Sheet
Sensarte Stock Pot Nonstick 4.5 Quart Soup Pot Casserole Pot with Lid Healthy Pasta Pot Cooking Pot Black Sauce Pot with Woodgrain Bakelite Handle, All Stove Compatible Cookware, Easy to Clean
12.5 Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Silicone Handle - Utopia Kitchen
Serving Size:6 People
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 703Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 1760mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 38g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.