Savory Bacon Gravy is a flavorful blend of chicken stock, onions, herbs, and spices that complements any meat, mashed veggie, or breakfast. With bacon drippings as the base of this creamy sauce, you'll be thinking of ways to add it to every meal.
If your meal is missing that "Razzle Dazzle," this gravy is a crowd-pleaser. Looking for more sauces that will leave your family satisfied? Check out my Zesty Cajun Tartar Sauce or the Simple Homemade Marinara Sauce.
Making Savory Bacon Gravy has become a tradition in my household, and for good reason. Who doesn't love bacon? But also, this delicious gravy is simple to prepare and chances are, you already have everything you need to make it!
Imagine this gravy over a bowl of mashed potatoes or alongside fried pork chops. You're just a few steps away from serving your own Savory Bacon Gravy. Now let's get into it!
Ingredients for Savory Bacon Gravy
Firstly, let's talk ingredients. Everything listed below has its purpose in this recipe and I want to break it down for you.
- Wright Brand Hickory Smoked Bacon: Thick-cut bacon is ideal for gravy because it's hearty. It's thick enough to withstand being sliced and fried.
Once I started using thick-cut bacon, I couldn't go back to the regular stuff. After your bacon is cooked, crumble it and set it aside. Then preserve the bacon grease in the skillet as it will become the base of your gravy.
- Onions: They not only add flavor but texture to the gravy. Cook diced onions in the bacon grease until they are translucent.
- Flour: The purpose of flour is to thicken the sauce. Be sure to thoroughly mix the flour into the bacon grease and onion mixture until it's a creamy consistency. Use a whisk for best results.
- Chicken Stock: This adds a new depth of flavor to the gravy but can also be used to thin the gravy out if it's too thick.
- Assorted Seasoning: For this recipe, I used black pepper, seasoning salt (optional), ground sage and, garlic powder. These seasonings are the final touch and tie it all together.
What can I use the Savory Bacon Gravy for?
This sumptuous gravy can complement a variety of meals as an extra special condiment. Get creative but here are some of my suggestions.
- Herb Butter Cornish Hens: Gravy pairs perfectly with this roasted chicken.
- Breakfast: If you want to go the traditional route, whip up this gravy with a classic southern-style breakfast that includes eggs, bacon, sausage, and biscuits.
- Poutine: Top your favorite fries with gravy for a yummy snack.
How do I Preserve Gravy Leftovers?
If you make more gravy than you can use in one meal, store it for later. Store cooled gravy in an 8-ounce mason jar. It can keep in the refrigerator for up to one week. When you're ready to heat up leftovers, just warm it up in a medium saucepan and whisk in more chicken stock if needed.
- 6 slices Wright brand thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled, bacon grease reserved
- 2 tablespoons All purpose flour
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- ½ Onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Seasoning salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Ground sage
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- Fry the bacon until completely cooked, set aside. Reserve the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the chopped onions to the bacon grease and cook until they become translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the flour to the skillet. Use a whisk to mix the flour in with the grease. Once the grease is fully absorbed by the flour, slowly begin to add chicken stock.
- Continue whisking the flour and chicken stock until there are no longer lumps of flour. The onions will provide a bit of texture. Add more chicken stock or water to thin the gravy out if it becomes too thick.
- Once the flour is fully incorporated into the gravy, add the bacon back into the skillet.
- Add the seasoning and mix well.
Use water to loosen up the gravy if it become too thick.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove(4-Piece Set) -Best Kitchen Chopping Board for Chopping Meat, Vegetables, Fruits, Cheese, Butcher Chopping Block & Wood Large Serving Tray Holder
SAKEN Paring Knife, 3.5 Inch - Ultra Sharp, High Carbon German Steel Knives - Luxury Gift Box
Sensarte 9.5/11-Inch Nonstick Frying Pan Skillet, Swiss Granite Coating Omelette Pan, Healthy Stone Cookware Chef's Pan, PFOA Free (9.5 Inch )