Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Cream Cheese filling are super moist and filled with all of the tantalizing pumpkin flavors. Inspired by Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins.
These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are a must try for all the delicious fall flavors!
Pumpkin spice and everything nice! These Pumpkin Spice Muffins were inspired by the same variation that Starbucks comes out with every fall. Most people that have had the pleasure of trying them know the deal!
What is the difference between these and Starbuck's Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins?
One of the greatest differences is the omission of the oats/pumpkin seeds on the top. Another variation is the option to either bake the cream cheese filling with the muffins, or add it after they cool down (which is the method pictured here).
Nonetheless, I have made them both ways, and they're equally delicious! In reality, it is a preference thing, either the cream cheese is cooked and warm, or it is cool and acts as a sort of frosting.
Ingredients needed for the muffins:
- Dry Ingredients: Flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and powdered sugar.
- Wet Ingredients: Pumpkin purée, one large egg, cream cheese, milk
Supplies needed to make the muffins:
- A stand mixer, hand mixer, or whisk
- Large bowl
- Cupcake or muffin pan
- Cupcake liners and/or non-stick cooking spray
- Pastry piping bag or Ziploc bag
How to store cooked muffins:
If there area any leftover muffins store them in an airtight container and place them in the refrigerator. Since the muffins are made with a cream cheese filling, refrigeration is highly suggested.
These muffins are amazing for a grab-and-go breakfast. They are amazing with a piping hot cup of coffee, or simply all by themselves.
To freeze and reheat the muffins:
Absolutely. Once each muffin cools down completely wrap them individually with a piece of plastic wrap. Place the wrapped muffins in a tupperware container with a lid and freeze for up to one month.
This is the perfect solution to make ahead and eat them one-bye-one. To reheat, remove the desired amount of muffins from the freezer. Simply unwrap the muffin and heat in the microwave for 30 second intervals.
Making the Cream Cheese Filling:
Ensure that the cream cheese is at room temperature. Basically, leave it out of the refrigerator a good 15 minutes. Place the cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a bowl.
Stir the cream cheese mixture together, using a whisk or a hand mixer until it is thoroughly combined. The mixture should be smooth and creamy, and slightly thinner than typical frosting.
Add more milk to the cream cheese if it is too thick. Be careful to add it a very little bit at a time so it does not become too runny.
How to pipe the cream cheese filling in after the muffins cook:
Using a pastry piping bag is highly recommended; however, Ziploc bag works just as well though! With a piping bag with a tip, simply place the cream cheese mixture into the bag. Next, push the tip into the center of the muffin, not all the way down to the bottom, and pipe the filling into the muffin until it overflows over the top.
To use a Ziploc bag, place the cream cheese filling into one corner of the bag, zip it up, and cut of about ¼ of the tip of the bag. Using a butter knife, dig out a shallow hole in the middle of the muffin.
Pipe the cream cheese mixture into the shallow hole until it is slightly overflowing over the top of the muffin. This method is ready to eat immediately!
Piping the cream cheese filling into the muffins prior to baking:
Starbucks bakes the cream cheese filling directly into their muffins. Having tried this method, it is equally delicious. Simply fill the cupcake liners with the batter. Next, pipe the cream cheese filling directly into the center of the batter.
The cream cheese filling will sink a bit. Bake them as normal, and the cream cheese will magically appear back towards the top when they are finished!
- 1½ cup All purpose flour
- ¾ cup Granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1½ cup Pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup Butter, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 large Egg
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 ounces Cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and/or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a stand mixer, or a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Mix it up until combined well.
- In a separate bowl combine the pumpkin puree, butter, vanilla extract, and the egg. Mix it well so that it is thoroughly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the large ingredients and mix with the stand mixer, or a whisk until it combined and fully incorporated.
- Using a scoop or a large spoon, fill the cupcake liners until they are about ¾ full.
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- Place the softened, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and milk in a bowl and whisk it until it is fully combined. It should have a thick creamy texture.
- Place the cream cheese filling into a pastry bag, or into the corner of a Ziploc bag. Snip the tip of of the Ziploc bag off.
- METHOD ONE TO BAKE: Squeeze a dollop of the cream cheese mixture into the middle of the muffins, it will sink a bit. Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- METHOD TWO AFTER THEY BAKE: Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes. Once the muffins cool, make a hole in the middle (using a butter knife) going half-way down.
- Pipe the cream cheese mixture into the hole until it seeps out over the top. Enjoy immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice, 2 oz
Ziploc Storage Bags with New Grip 'n Seal Technology, For Food, Sandwich, Organization and More, Quart, 80 Count
Kasmoire Piping Bags and Tips,24pcs Cake Decorating Tools Sets with 6pcs 3 Sizes (12”+14”+16”) Reusable Icing Pastry Bags, 6 Different Icing Bags Tips, 6 Piping Bags Couplers and 6 Frosting Bags Ties
Electric Hand Mixer 5-Speed,300W Turbo Handheld Mixer with Eject Function,Storage Case and 4 Stainless Steel Accessories for Whipping Mixing Cookies, Brownies, Cakes, Dough Batters
Ouddy 3 Pack Stainless Steel Whisks 8"+10"+12", Wire Whisk Set Kitchen wisks for Cooking, Blending, Whisking, Beating, Stirring
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.