Korean inspired kimchi fried rice is loaded with robust Korean flavors. Sour and spicy tastes of kimchi pop through in every bite. Add spam, ham, or any meat of choice for added protein and flavor.
Growing up in a military town, I was privy to a very vast cuisine. On any given day, my Korean “play mom” would whip up something to eat with rice. Kimchi is a staple in Korean households, so it’s not uncommon to have it accompany any, and every meal.
As I got older, kimchi became a very acquired taste. It has a very sour-like flavor that your palette has to be ready for. After eating it a few times, I decided that I HAD to learn how to make it myself! This recipe for homemade kimchi is foolproof, and addicting.
If you don’t have time to make it, you can find it in the store in the produce section. Or, Amazon has a delicious brand of kimchi as well.
There are SO many health benefits of kimchi, which makes it even more likeable. For starters, it has a very low carb and low calorie content, because it’s main ingredient is napa cabbage. Furthermore, the probiotics in the kimchi are very abundant- due to the fermentation process. In other words- it’s super good for your gut health!I digress…
Let’s get into this kimchi fried rice!
Pre-cooked, (even day before), rice works best for any sort of frying. If you don’t have any, don’t worry, just whip up some rice and go from there. I’ve created this dish with white and brown rice, even quinoa at some point! I’m telling you, this is a sure fire food at any time of the day. It is super simple and quick to make.
I guess because of the egg component, my favorite time to eat kimchi fried rice is in the morning. Feel free to omit the egg if it’s not your thing. Give this recipe a try, and let me know how you like it!
- 2 cups cooked white rice, can sub for brown rice
- 1 cup kimchi, roughly chopped
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 egg, scrambled or fried
- 1/2 cup Spam or ham , chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Heat oil on medium high in a non-stick skillet. Fry the spam or ham until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and onion, saute for 5 minutes, or until rice starts to get slightly crispy. Add the kimchi and all the seasonings, saute for another 5 minutes.
- Push the rice to the side of the pan and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Scramble the egg and combine with the rice, or fry the egg and serve it over the top of the kimchi fried rice.
*Substitute brown rice or quinoa with white rice
*Spam or any other meat works well in this recipe also
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 32g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 2474mg Carbohydrates: 30g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 15g
PLEASE REPIN THIS RECIPE TO SAVE AND SHARE WITH FRIENDS!