Red Velvet Swirl Cheesecake with White Chocolate is the perfect dessert for any occasion. Made with cream cheese, white chocolate, and red food coloring for a truly decadent dessert.
Cheesecake is such an intimate and decadent dessert. One of the best things about this dessert, is that it is very versatile. Treat a cheesecake like a blank canvas, a piece of art. Which is where this creation came from.
Is the Red Velvet Swirl Cheesecake the same as a regular cake?
Essentially, yes it is. The main difference with the red velvet swirl cheesecake is just that, the red velvet! In order to achieve the red velvet taste, white chocolate was added to the cheesecake mixture. Even more, we added red food coloring to achieve that very vibrant red color.
Regular, or traditional cheesecake does not have white chocolate in the mixture. Since red velvet cake normally has a cocoa base to create the chocolate taste, we added white chocolate.
What is the difference between a New York Cheesecake and a regular cheesecake?
New York cheesecake is traditionally very rich, dense, and super indulgent. Like traditional cheesecake, it is made with a base of cream cheese. Sour cream or heavy cream is often added to add to the rich and creamy texture.
Different variations of cheesecakes:
- New York style cheesecake
- Traditional cheesecake
- No-bake or Icebox cheesecake
- Vegan friendly cheesecake
Baked cheesecake versus No-bake cheesecake:
The main difference between the two variations is the addition of eggs. Once you add eggs into the cheesecake mixture, it must be baked. Baked cheesecakes are very dense and creamy.
No-bake cheesecakes do not have the addition of eggs. For no-bake cheesecakes, you can use the same cream cheese mixture. Often times, people add gelatin to help the cheesecake set up properly. This variation of cheesecake is more light and airy versus dense and creamy.
Making the Red Velvet Swirl Cheesecake:
Gather the ingredients you will need:
- Cream cheese- it is very important that the cream cheese is at room temperature, or softened.
- Sugar- white granulated sugar.
- White chocolate- a chocolate bar, or white chocolate chips work well. You will be melting the chocolate.
- Red food coloring
- Corn starch
- A skew stick or tooth pick
- Graham crackers, sugar, and butter for the crust
For the graham cracker crust:
Using a food processor or blender, blend the graham crackers until they are very fine. Next you will add the melted sugar and butter; mix this together until fully combined. Next you will press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the pan. After this, bake the mixture at 250 degrees for 8 minutes.
Making the cheesecake batter:
Add the cream cheese and sugar to a stand mixer or a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese with the sugar for about five minutes until it is smooth. Next you will add the eggs in one at a time. Continue mixing until it is very smooth.
Add in the vanilla extract, cornstarch, and melted white chocolate. You will blend this together until everything is fully incorporated and smooth. Remove about two cups of the cheesecake batter and set it aside.
Add the red food coloring to the cheesecake mixture that was set aside and mix it up until it is blended well. After you make the graham cracker crust, pour the white cheesecake batter directly on top.
Creating the swirl pattern:
For this step you will need to add the red cheesecake mixture into a piping bag, or Ziploc bag. Snip the corner of the bag to create a small opening.
Next you will start in the middle of the cheesecake and place dot size dollops of the red velvet mixture.
Going outward in a spiral-type design, continue to add the dots of the red mixture. Continue adding the dots until you reach the outermost part of the cheesecake. Next you will take your toothpick and drag it from one dot to the next. This should create a sort of “heart-like” shape.
Place a shallow pan filled with water in the bottom rack of the oven. This is a super important step to help prevent the cheesecake from cracking. After the swirl pattern is created you should place the cheesecake directly above the pan of water.
Bake the cheesecake at 250 degrees for one hour. After one hour, you should turn the oven off and let the cheesecake sit in there for another hour. Next, remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least three hours to allow the cheesecake to fully set. Cut it, and enjoy!
To create different shaped cheesecakes:
Simply use a cookie cutter to cut out the shapes. Be sure to spray the cookie cutter with a non-stick cooking spray to ensure it does not stick to the cheesecake when cutting it out. For these particular cheesecakes, I used a heart shaped cookie cutter.
- 4 8 oz. blocks Cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup Granulated sugar
- 4 whole Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup White chocolate, melted
- 1 ½ tablespoon Red food coloring
Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 packs Honey graham crackers
- ½ stick Butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- Using a blender or food processor, blend both packs of graham crackers until they are finely processed. They should almost be in a powder form.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and place a shallow dish with water onto the bottom rack. Add melted butter and sugar to the graham crackers and mix well until all of the butter and crackers are combined. Mixture should be crumbly, not overly wet.
- Spray the springform pan with non-stick spray. Add the graham cracker mixture directly into the bottom of the pan. Press the mixture firmly into the pan using the back of a spoon, or something with a flat surface.
- Place the pan in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove it from the oven and set aside. Reduce oven temp to 250 degrees
- Mix together room temperature cream cheese, sugar, and corn starch in a stand mixer, or large bowl using an electric mixer. Once the cream cheese is fully combined with sugar (about 3 minutes of mixing), add eggs one at a time.
- Add the vanilla extract and melted white chocolate directly into the cream cheese mixture. Blend together until fully incorporated. Remove two cups of the cheesecake filling and place it into a medium size bowl.
- Pour red food coloring into the two cups of cheesecake filling and mix well. Mixture should take on a vibrant red color. Set this aside.
- Pour the remaining (white) cheesecake mixture directly into the pan on top of the graham cracker crust.
- Pour the red velvet cheesecake mixture into a piping bag. Snip the end off. Starting in the center, place a dollop of the mixture. Going outward, in a circle, continue to dollop the red velvet mixture until the edge of the cheesecake is reached.
- Starting from the center dollop, use a pointed stick, or toothpick, lightly drag each red velvet dollop into each other. This should achieve a "heart shaped" swirl pattern.
- Ensure that the shallow pan on the lower baking rack still has water. Place the cheese cake right above it and bake for one hour.
- Turn the heat off and leave the cheesecake sitting in the oven for another hour. After an hour place the cheesecake on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour to completely cool down.
- Refrigerate for at least three hours, or until cheesecake is chilled.
Use a heart shape cookie cutter to cut out cheesecake for the heart shape.
Refer to post above for answers to almost all of your questions!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
McCormick Red Food Color, 1 fl oz
Basic Cookie Cutters Set Cake Cutter Cookie Cutter Set Round Biscuit Bread Fondant Cutters Biscuit Cutter Set Multi-size Sandwich Fondant Cake Fruit Vegetable Shapes Cutter Set of 40 Piece
HOPELF 6" Natural Bamboo Skewers for BBQ，Appetiser，Fruit，Cocktail，Kabob，Chocolate Fountain，Grilling，Barbecue，Kitchen，Crafting and Party. Φ=4mm, More Size Choices 8"/10"/12"/14"/16"/30"(100 PCS)
Ghirardelli Classic White Chocolate Chip, 11 oz, 2 pk
Cuisinart HM-90S Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case, White
XINGDA Springform Pan Set of Non-stick Cheesecake Pan, Leakproof Round Cake Pan Set Includes 7" Springform Pan, Icing Spatula and Icing Smoother (7 Inch Springform)