Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs are a tasty twist on traditional meatballs with gooey cheese baked into the center of juicy ground beef. They are a fun way to spice up your next spaghetti night!
Meatballs are a popular dish in my house so I make them often. They are also quick and incredibly easy to make. In an effort to keep this dinner staple fresh, I decided to spice things up by adding cheese to the middle of the meatballs.
Is cheese good when it is stuffed in meatballs?
Imagine biting into a delicious meatball and getting a bite of gooey, cheesy goodness! Baked mozzarella stuffed meatballs are tender with a bold, unforgettable flavor.
I have no doubt that once you try them, they will become a family favorite in your household!
Gather Ingredients for Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs:
- Marinara sauce: Nothing complements meatballs like a tomato sauce. This goes directly into the bottom of the pot when you bake the meatballs.
- Ground beef: The standard meat used when preparing meatballs. Add ground pork to maximize the juiciness!
- Large egg: Egg acts a binder in these easy Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs. It helps hold them together.
- Bread crumbs: This also acts as a binder. Soak them in a little milk or water beforehand and they also assist with moisture.
- Block of mozzarella cheese: The best part of this recipe is the melted cheese at the center. Cheddar or parmesan would work too!
- Seasonings and garnish: Italian seasoning, fresh garlic, garlic powder and basil.
- If you do not want to use ground beef, lean ground beef, turkey or chicken are great options.
- Do not overmix the ground beef mixture or the meatballs will be too tough.
- Halfway through cooking, flip the meatballs so that they evenly cook and do not burn.
- Use an ice cream scoop in order to ensure that the meatballs are the same size.
What to serve the meatballs with:
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs are a quick, easy, and delicious dinner idea or appetizer. The possibilities are endless but here are a few suggestions for how to serve them:
- The classic choice would be to add them to spaghetti, or any other type of cooked pasta. Check out my Cheesy Baked Spaghetti for inspiration!
- Add them to a grinder (sub roll) for a yummy meatball sub!
- Stick a toothpick in them and serve them at your next party as an appetizer.
- Serve them along with a salad and some garlic bread like my Garlic Butter Pull Apart Bread or Cheesy Garlic Naan Bread.
How to Store Leftovers
Leftover meatballs should be sealed in an air-tight container and refrigerated for up to 5 days. These meatballs can also be frozen for up to a month.
Make sure they are completely cool then remove any residual grease. Next place them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. After they are frozen, place them in a freezer-safe bag.
When you are ready to reheat them, thaw them in the fridge overnight and warm them up in the microwave. Alternatively, place the meatballs into a hot pot of tomato sauce.
Mozzarella stuffed meatballs are made with ground beef stuffed with cheesy goodness. A quick, easy, and delicious dinner idea or appetizer.
- 3 cups Marinara sauce
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1 large Egg
- ½ cup Bread crumbs
- 16 ounce block Mozzarella cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
Seasoning and Garnish
- 1 tablespoon Seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ tablespoon Garlic powder
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Fresh basil, chopped (optional to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an oven proof skillet or baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread 2 cups of the marinara sauce directly into the dish.
- Next, Add ground beef, large egg, and bread crumbs into a large bowl. Then add all of the seasonings and minced garlic into the bowl with the meat.
- Using a spoon, or gloved hands, mix the meat up with all of the ingredients until it is fully combined. Try not to mix too much as you will over work the meat and the texture will change.
- Using your hands, section the meat into 6 equal parts in the bowl. Roughly roll each piece so that they are easy to grab.
- Grab one of the sections and roll it into a tight ball with the palms of your hand. Take a cube of the mozzarella cheese and press it directly into the center of the meatball.
- Gently pull the meat around to close the opening from stuffing the cheese into it. Place the stuffed meatball directly into the dish lined with marinara sauce.
- Continue these steps until all of the meatballs are formed and stuffed.
- Place the skillet or baking dish into the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the dish and flip the meatballs over and place back in the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- The cheese may be oozing out of some of the meatballs, and that is great!
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil. Serve with your favorite pasta and reserved marinara sauce. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ORBLUE Garlic Press [Premium], Stainless Steel Mincer, Crusher & Peeler Set - Professional Grade, Easy Clean, Dishwasher Safe & Rustproof
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping
imarku Chef Knife - Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch Chef's Knives
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
OXO Good Grips Freezer-to-Oven Safe 3 Qt Glass Baking Dish with Lid, 9 x 13,Clear,9 x 13"
Cast Iron Skillet with Lid - 12"-Inch Frying Pan + Glass Lid + Heat-Resistant Handle Cover - Pre-Seasoned Oven Safe Cookware - Indoor/Outdoor Use - Grill, BBQ, Camping Fire, Stovetop, Induction Safe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 553Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 1958mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 42g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.