A very simple and delicious Cuban sandwich made with a few key ingredients. Ham, roasted pork, Cuban bread, and pickles are the star of this sandwich.
If you’re into more “finger food” style meals, you gotta check out these Lemon Pepper Honey Wings!
The Cuban Sandwich is very popular in South Florida. It is inexpensive to make, and undeniably yummy! In fact, our local Wal-Marts and grocery stores here in S. Florida, sale the Cuban bread by the loafs for only $1.00.
You cannot go wrong with $1.00 for a whole loaf of bread. There’s not a significant difference in the taste of Cuban bread versus others, so if you don’t find Cuban bread, use any other loaf instead.
What is on a Cuban Sandwich?
This sandwich is loaded with ham, pork, cheese, and pickles. The pickles are the star of the sandwich, so load em’ on there. Feel free to use any variation of cheese. Swiss cheese is the cheese preferred by most for this sandwich.
Although I have made it with Swiss before, and it is delicious- this recipe calls for provolone. For me, it melts perfectly and tastes great with the ham and pork. Mustard gives it a signature flavor, with just the right amount of tanginess.
What do I need to make a Cuban Sandwich?
Well, simply put, you really only need a good loaf of bread, ham, pork loin (if desired), mustard and pickles!
A sandwich or panini press is perfect to get the sandwich crispy, and melt the cheese. If you don’t have a sandwich press, no need to worry!
Use a skillet like you would if you were making a grill cheese sandwich. Use a heavy cast iron skillet to weight it down by setting it on top of the sandwich. The point is to flatten it out as much as possible, get the bread nice and toasty, and to make sure the cheese is melted.
Here is a perfect sandwich press, and it’s not too pricey.
I don’t normally get hungry when I’m posting my recipes, but this one is making my mouth water! And besides, anything inexpensive and delicious is always a winner in our household! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 1 pack Ham lunchmeat, your favorite brand
- 1 Pork loin, cooked and shredded (see below
- 1 cup Sliced pickles
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- 1 loaf Cuban bread (see notes)
- ½ cup Mustard
- 1 loaf Cuban bread
Seasoning (for pork loin)
- 2 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon Onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Season pork loin. Sauté in the instant-pot until all sides are brown. Cook on the meat setting for recommended time.
- Slice the loaf of bread down the middle so you have two pieces. Then cut the bread into the desired individual sandwich size pieces.
- Once the pork loin is done, shred it using two forks, or using a knife, roughly chop the meat. Half of the pork loin can be reserved for another recipe.
- Slather the mustard on one side of the loaf to evenly cover it. Begin layering with the ham, pork loin, cheese, and pickles.
- Grill the sandwich using a sandwich press, or grill it in a skillet and weigh it down with another skillet or something moderately heavy on top of it. Grill 5 minutes per side if using a skillet.
- Sandwich is done when cheese is melted and both sides are brown.
Any cut of pork can be used for this recipe. If you do not have an Instant Pot, simply roast the pork in the oven until done.
Any loaf of bread will work, Cuban bread is the best for this sandwich, but pick-up a loaf that your local bakery has available.
Serving Size:6 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 1554mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.