Creamy Rasta Pasta with Shrimp, Chicken, and Sausage is made with Parmesan cheese, cream, spices, and veggies. This pasta dish has amazing flavor and texture and is the ultimate comfort food with a touch of soul.
Are you craving something creamy and cheesy? If so, give the Loaded Jalapeno Poppers or the Crab Mac N’ Cheese a try.
Fall is in full effect and you’re going to want to cozy up with a bowlful of this Creamy Rasta Pasta with Shrimp, Chicken, and Sausage. This meal is perfect for those nights when you have a taste for a little bit of everything because it has flavor, texture, and all the meats!
My household loves spicy food and pasta is always a popular go-to so naturally, this has become a family favorite. Once you make this Creamy Rasta Pasta tossed in seasoning, spices, and bell peppers with your favorite proteins, you'll be a fan too.
Gather Ingredients for the Pasta
- Olive Oil
Gather Ingredients for the Protein
- Chicken Breast
- Seasoned Salt
- Black Pepper
- Smoked Sausage
- Shrimp (Frozen or Fresh)
- Cajun Seasoning
Gather Ingredients for the Rasta Pasta Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Red Bell Pepper
- Onion (roughly chopped)
- Roma Tomato (diced)
- Garlic Clove (diced)
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan Cheese (grated)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- All spice
How to Prepare the Pasta
Firstly, bring water and a pinch of salt to a boil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot. Gently add the pasta to the water and reduce the heat to medium. Boil for 10-15 minutes, checking for al dente pasta.
Test this by tasting the pasta. After about ten minutes of boiling, it should be firm to the bite. Visually, you can tell if pasta is overcooked if the water becomes cloudy with starch. However, we want to stop boiling before this happens.
Drain the pasta and set aside.
How to Prepare the Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp
While the pasta is cooking, get started with your chicken. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the chicken breast with seasoned salt and black pepper then add it to the hot skillet. Cook for 5 minutes per side then remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
Slice the sausage in half (in order to cook evenly throughout) and add it to the same skillet, cooking for 2-3 minutes. Then flip to the other side and repeat. Once the sausage is cooked, remove it from the skillet and set it aside.
If using frozen shrimp, be sure that it is thawed out completely prior to cooking. Season shrimp with Cajun seasoning. Place the shrimp in the skillet and cook for one minute per side (but be sure not to overcook). Remove the shrimp and set it aside.
How to Prepare the Rasta Pasta Sauce
Now add the remaining olive oil, and 4 tablespoons of butter to the same skillet. Next add the bell pepper strips, onion, diced tomato, and garlic. From here, sauté for 6 minutes until veggies are tender and crisp.
Gently pour in heavy cream in order to prevent splashing and mix it into the pepper and onions. After that, add the parmesan cheese, and all of the seasonings and spices. Let this simmer over medium-low. Add reserved pasta water one tablespoon at a time if the cream sauce becomes too thick.
Now slice up the cooked chicken breast and sausage to desired bite-size pieces. Then add the chicken, sausage, and shrimp into the creamy sauce and mix until thoroughly combined.
Finally, mix the pasta in with the Rasta cream sauce and combine well.
Can I make a dairy-free Creamy Rasta Pasta?
You can definitely make the Creamy Rasta Pasta dairy-free. Opt for full-fat coconut milk instead of heavy cream, omit the cheese and replace the butter with more olive oil. This will create a slight sweetness to the pasta.
Another alternative to the cream is to use almond or oat milk. Ensure that it is not flavored, just plain.
What kind of pasta should I use?
I recommend any pasta that will sop up the sauce. I used fettuccine for this recipe but penne or rigatoni are good options too.
Use what you have on hand! Spaghetti noodles, bow tie pasta, or anything that’s already in the pantry. The creamy sauce pairs well with any pasta.
What other cheeses can I use for the Rasta Pasta?
Italian or mozzarella would spread just as well as Parmesan and make for a great flavor. But if you want a super cheesy pasta, you can combine all three!
If time permits, grate the cheese from a block. Definitely don’t hesitate to use pre-shredded cheese though! Shortcuts are allowed, and it tastes just as amazing!!!
Creamy Rasta Pasta with Shrimp, Chicken, and Smoked Sausage
Creamy Rasta Pasta with Shrimp, Chicken, and Smoked Sausage. Also made with Parmesan cheese, cream, and amazing flavors from the spices and veggies that are added.
- 1 pound Pasta, (see notes)
- Water to boil pasta
- ½ tablespoon Salt, (for water)
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 whole Chicken breast
- ½ tablespoon Seasoned salt (for chicken)
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper (for chicken)
- 1 pound Smoked sausage
- 1 pound Shrimp, frozen or fresh
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (for shrimp)
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 whole Red bell pepper, cut in strips
- ½ medium Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 whole Roma tomato, diced
- 1 clove Garlic, diced
- 2 cups Heavy cream
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- Water (as needed, check post and notes)
- 1 tablespoon Seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon All spice
- ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Add water to a large stock pot, add in the ½ pinch of salt and bring it to a boil over medium high. Gently place the pasta into the water and reduce the heat to medium. Boil for 10-15, checking for al dente pasta (see post for details). Drain the pasta and set aside. Start with step 2 while pasta is cooking
- Heat a skillet over medium and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season chicken with seasoned salt and black pepper, and add the chicken to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Slice sausage into ½ thick slices. Add the sausage to the same skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, and flip to cook the other side. Once the sausage is cooked, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- If using frozen shrimp, be sure that it is thawed out completely. Season shrimp with cajun seasoning. Place the shrimp in the skillet and cook for one minute per side (do not overcook). Remove the shrimp and set it aside.
- Add remaining olive oil, and 4 tablespoons of butter to the same skillet. Next add the bell pepper strips, onion, diced tomato, and garlic. Sauté for 6 minutes until veggies are tender and crisp.
- Gently pour in heavy cream and mix it into the pepper and onions. Add the parmesan cheese, and all of the seasonings and spices. Let this simmer over medium-low.
- Slice up the cooked chicken breast to desired bite-size pieces. Add the chicken, sausage, and shrimp into the creamy sauce and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Mix pasta in with the cream sauce and combine well.
Add reserved pasta water one tablespoon at a time if the cream sauce becomes too thick.
See notes in the post about cooking al dente pasta.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chef Knife - PAUDIN Pro Kitchen Knife 8 Inch Chef's Knife N1 German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle, Ultra Sharp, Best Choice for Home Kitchen & Restaurant
12.5 Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Silicone Handle - Utopia Kitchen
StarPack Basics Silicone Kitchen Tongs (9-Inch & 12-Inch) - Stainless Steel with Non-Stick Silicone Tips, High Heat Resistant to 480°F, For Cooking, Serving, Grill, BBQ & Salad (Teal Blue)
IMUSA USA Stainless Steel Stock Pot 20-Quart, Silver
LiveFresh Stainless Steel Micro-Perforated 5-Quart Colander - Professional Strainer with Heavy Duty Handles and Self-draining Solid Ring Base - Dishwasher Safe
Leave a Reply