If you've been following our dinner adventures over here at Razzle Dazzle Life, you would understand that we LOVE to explore in the kitchen. These cheesy jambalaya stuffed peppers came about off of that exploration. Stuffed peppers are already a fun way to eat your veggies, and the pepper adds another dimension of flavor.
Why add the cheese?
Well, what set these stuffed peppers over the edge though, was the addition of cheese. Adding the cheese between layers of jambalaya, took the recipe to a whole different place. Some stuffed pepper recipes simply call for a shallow water bath to be added to the baking dish. Once that's done, they cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven. We have made stuffed peppers this way. For the sake of time, and not wanting to heat up the whole house with oven, we pre-boiled the cut and cleaned peppers first.
By pre-boiling the peppers first, you're automatically cutting down on about 15 minutes of extra cooking time. Once the peppers boil for about 10-15 minutes, they're already nice and tender, but still sturdy enough to hold your filling. After they were boiled, we began layering the cheese and the jambalaya. As you can see, we still added about ¼ cup of water to the baking dish, just to create an extra steam component to help marry all of the flavors.
Admittedly, the kiddos looked at us a bit crazy when we plopped theses bad boys on the table! Even more, they didn't quite know what to do with them, or how to eat them rather. It was pretty comical showing them how to cut the peppers and eat it with the jambalaya. Since jambalaya already calls for bell peppers and onions, theses peppers just added some additional flavors. Needless to say, every pepper was gone by the time dinner was over, and they were asking for more!
Tender bell peppers packed with perfectly seasoned jambalaya and loaded with cheese.
- 6 Bell peppers, tops cut off, de-seeded and de-veined
- 12 cups water
- 5 cups Jambalaya, see recipe below
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil water in large stock pot. Add bell peppers and cook for 15 minutes
- Remove bell peppers from water and place in a baking dish in a single layer.
- Add a little bit of mozzarella cheese to each bell pepper and continue layering with jambalaya and cheese.
- Top with cheese and add bell pepper stems back on top. Add about ¼ cup water to the bottom of the baking dish (to create steam).
- Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
PRODUCTS USED IN THIS RECIPE:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission for my referral at NO extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Razzle Dazzle Life!
PLEASE PIN THIS RECIPE TO SAVE AND SHARE WITH FRIENDS!