Thai red veggie curry loaded with carrots, potatoes, celery, and other veggies, bathing in a spicy red curry made with coconut milk and thai curry paste.
Once upon a time, I did not like to try new foods! Fast forward to this adult life, I live to try new foods. This Vegetable Thai Red Curry was adapted from Recipe Tin Eats variation. She added chicken in her curry, and even makes the red curry paste from scratch! Although it looks amazing, for the sake of saving time, we used store bought curry paste!
Every so often, we try to have a "meatless Monday" meal. This vegetable Thai red curry was perfect for that occasion! The flavors are so beautiful and strong in this dish, you truly do not miss the meat. What's even better- you can get super creative and use whatever veggies that are on-hand. Thai red curry paste has a bit of a kick to it already, but if you're a spice fanatic like I am, add some additional crushed red pepper flakes!
Adding potatoes to this curry makes it super hearty. Potatoes act as a thickening agent for soups and stews because of the starches. So ideally, this red curry can be enjoyed alone as a wholesome dish, or eat it over some rice for a complete meal.
Making the Vegetable Thai Red Curry:
It is super simple. Heat up the olive oil in a skillet- over medium heat. Add the chopped and diced veggies to the oil. Do not add the garlic just yet. Saute the veggies for about 5 minutes, add the garlic for the last minute. If the garlic is added too soon, it will burn, which changes the whole flavor of the dish.
Once veggies are sauteed, add the Thai red curry paste to the skillet. Mix evenly, while simultaneously sauteeing as well. Mix in the coconut milk and the water. Cover the skillet and continue to simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes. Water can be added to curry if needed- the curry will begin to get very thick due to potato starches.
Serve over rice, add thai basil for additional flavors!
- 2 medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 whole Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks Celery , diced
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Cabbage, rough chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 can Coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil, to saute veggies
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 bunch Thai basil
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the veggies and saute for about 5 minutes. Do not add the garlic until the last minute- so it does not burn.
- Add curry past and stir until distributed evenly. Pour in coconut milk and combine with veggies and curry paste. Add seasonings, mix well.
- Cover the skillet and continue to simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. Add water occasionally to loosen up the curry.
- Serve over rice or eat alone.
For more spice, add in crushed red chili flakes.
PLEASE REPIN THIS RECIPE TO SAVE AND SHARE WITH FRIENDS!