This jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwich is a delicious "grown up" spin on one of our childhood favorites! Two toasty slices of bread stuffed with a very mild, creamy, and cheesy jalapeno mixture. It does not get any better than this!
Table of contents
Sandwiches are so much fun to make because they are so versatile. Another great thing about them is how quickly they come together! Easy and quick, and breakfast lunch or dinner; sandwiches are a great solution!
Gather the ingredients for the jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwiches:
One of the best parts about these sandwiches are how easy they are to make. Aside from being easy, you only need a few simple ingredients! Here are the ingredients you need to gather:
- Bread: for this sandwich we used a whole grain wheat bread. You can definitely use your favorite kind of bread, or any bread you have on-hand.
- Cheeses: you will need cream cheese, be sure that it is softened. So leave it out on the counter for a couple hours before you are ready to use it. Shredded cheddar cheese is the other type of cheese you will need.
- Jalapenos: for this recipe we used the jalapenos in the jar. These are not as spicy, as they are mostly pickled. You can definitely use a fresh jalapeno as well, but it will be more spicy.
- Butter: you need butter to add to the bread to achieve the golden brown, crusty bread that we want for the grilled cheese.
Is this sandwich spicy?
No it is not spicy at all! The jalapenos we use are pickled and on the mild side. Once you chop them down into pieces, and add them to the cheese mixture, the heat is almost non-existent. There is a very subtle kick, but not overly spicy.
How to achieve the perfect golden brown crust:
One of the best ways to achieve a golden brown crust on the bread is the kind of skillet you use, as well as the BUTTER! The butter will help create the perfect crust once it sears in the skillet.
Using a good nonstick skillet is key as well. Brown each side of the sandwich for about three minutes, or up to five if you like it on the super brown side.
Can I make the sandwiches ahead of time?
The filling for the sandwich can be prepared ahead of time. Mix all of the ingredients, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or an air tight lid, and refrigerate. Place it in the refrigerator for up to two days.
When you are ready to prepare the sandwiches, take the mixture out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. This will ensure that the cheese melts evenly.
Cheese substitution ideas:
If cream cheese is not your thing, you can substitute it for mascarpone, or even ricotta cheese. You can definitely replace the cheddar cheese with mozzarella, Colby jack, or Monterrey jack.
Another great extra creamy cheese that goes well on grilled cheese sandwiches is brie. Brie is already a super creamy and mild flavored cheese; so when added to a sandwich, it is delicious!
- 4 slices Bread of choice, 12 grain wheat used for this recipe
- 1 cup Cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 slice American cheese
- ½ cup Jalapeños, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Butter (to grill bread)
- Add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, shredded cheese, and jalapeños and seasonings to a medium bowl. Stir the mixture until it is fully combined. Mixture should be semi-smooth.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. While the skillet is heating up, spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place the butter side down directly into the skillet. Add half of the cream cheese mixture to the bread, then top with the slice of American cheese. Place the other slice of bread directly on top, with the buttered side on the outside.
- Repeat these steps for the second sandwich.
- Grill on each side for 3-5 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown, and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat and let the sandwiches sit for at least one minute to cool down a bit. Enjoy!
Use a bread that is sturdy enough to hold up to the cheese mixture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chef’s Knife - PAUDIN Pro Kitchen Knife, 8-Inch Chef's Knife
Professional Box Grater, Stainless Steel with 4 Sides, Best for Parmesan Cheese, Vegetables, Ginger, XL Size, Black
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
Sensarte 9.5/11-Inch Nonstick Frying Pan Skillet, Swiss Granite Coating Omelette Pan, Healthy Stone Cookware Chef's Pan, PFOA Free (9.5 Inch )
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 427Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 75mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 12gSugar: 7gProtein: 25g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.