Green chile chicken enchiladas smothered in a zesty and creamy green chile sauce and Monterrey jack shredded cheese melted and bubbled to perfection.
Green chile chicken enchiladas are one of the most requested Mexican food dishes in our house. In fact, when we eat out at a Mexican restaurant, I can almost bet that green chile enchiladas are going to be ordered by someone in the family.
The sauce in this recipe is store bought, and “doctored” up to add a little Razzle Dazzle to the dish! Okay-okay, I really just add sour cream to a jar of salsa verde to make the sauce nice and creamy!
Of course, homemade tomatillo sauce would be absolutely amazing for these enchiladas, but I’m here to keep things simply and delicious for you! It really can’t get any easier than this when it comes to a good enchilada sauce.
Now for the actual Green Chile chicken enchiladas:
My house is divided. Some like four tortillas, some prefer corn. So what do I do? I make both! With the corn tortillas, I HIGHLY recommend frying them in a bit of oil, just enough to soften and make them pliable prior to rolling.
Like with the flour though, you can simply microwave them enough to soften them up (of course this is the more healthy option). Trust me though, they taste so much better with that touch of oil! I mean, we’re indulging in enchiladas, might as well go all out. Nonetheless, I’ve tried both methods, and I can tell the difference when they’re flash-fried first.
Once the tortillas are made pliable, it’s time to roll-em-up! This is my favorite part… not sure why, but it’s kinda fun. Fill each tortillas with the chicken mixture, line the pan, and cover with sauce! Everyone should have a 9×13 baking dish in their cooking arsenal, if you don’t, here’s a perfect and inexpensive one.
This particular dish is awesome because you can simply pop the lid on and store any leftovers for easy cleanup! A good baking dish is great for cooking many things, but these enchiladas especially. It allows the enchiladas to soak-up all the sauce, and cheesy goodness.
The cool thing about this recipe is that everything can be prepped ahead of time, covered, put in the fridge, and ready to go come dinner time. That’s a lifesaver for my family, especially when we’re torn in a million different directions throughout the week.
Give it a try, and let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 2 Chicken breast, cooked and shredded or diced
- 1/2 Yellow onion, diced
- 1 4.5 ounce Can Green chiles, mild
- 1 bottle Salsa verde, mild
- 8 ounces Sour cream
- 7 Corn tortillas
- 7 Flour tortillas
- 1 bag Monterrey jack shredded cheese
- 1 cup Vegetable oil (to fry tortillas, optional)
- 1 tablespoon Ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine shredded or diced chicken, onion, 1/4 bag of the Monterrey jack cheese, can of green chiles, and seasoning in a large bowl and mix well.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Fry corn tortillas for 30 seconds (enough to make them pliable). Remove them from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Heat flour tortillas in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Heat and combine the bottle of mild salsa verde, and sour cream until it begins to lighty boil. Set it to the side
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread about 1/4 cup of the salsa verde and sour cream mixture into the bottomof the baking dish- just enough to form a thin layer.
- Begin filing and rolling each tortilla wiht the chicken mixture.
- Tightly line the baking dish with the rolled enchiladas. Pour the remaining green chile sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the enchiladas from the oven, take off the foil and sprinkle with remaining Monterrey jack cheese.
- Turn the oven on to broil, and put the enchiladas back into the oven to melt and brown the cheese (about 3 minutes). WATCH VERY CLOSELY BECAUSE THEY WILL EASILY BURN.
For a healthier version, warm corn tortillas in the microwave instead of frying.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 750Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 377mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 22g