Steak Skewers with Mushrooms and Asparagus are marinated cuts of steak and veggies, loaded onto skewers. Super simple to put together, and turn out delicious everytime!
While you’re here, check out these Loaded Jalapeno Poppers for another great grill idea!
Barbecue season is officially upon us! With that comes lots of food, laughter, and fun. There is no better way to enjoy a warm summer day, or holiday, than to sit around the grill with friends and family, and a nice crisp, and refreshing beverage in hand.
Making any sort of skewer takes me back to my childhood. There’s something so nostalgic about assembling each skewer with whatever we choose.
How do you make homemade skewers:
Soak your skewer (if you’re using the wooden ones). Decide which flavor combo you want to go with (more ideas below). Cut the ingredients into bite-size, 1″ pieces. Season to your liking- and build your skewers! It’s as simple as threading each ingredient directly onto your skewer.
What other ingredients can be used for grilled skewers?
For these particular skewers, we decided to go with marinated steak bites, mushrooms, and asparagus. The beauty of skewers is how extremely versatile they are! GET CREATIVE! Make them exactly how you and your family and friends would like.
Here are some other ideas to add to your skewers:
- Chicken pieces
- Bell pepper
- Fruit- pineapple and chicken taste amazing together!
- Potatoes (par boiled)
Many more, and virtually anything can be added to a skewer and grilled. One of the best ideas is to create an almost complete, or full meal out of your skewer! Cut down dishes, and cooking time!
How to grill skewers without burning them:
If you’re using metal skewers, the likelihood of burning them is very slim. With wooden skewers, it is very important to soak the bare skewer in water for at least 30 minutes prior to adding the food to them.
Another tip that you will note in the recipe card, is that I add olive oil to both the meat marinade and the veggies. This helps to eliminate the skewers from sticking to the grill.
How do I prevent the meat from drying out?
Baste the meat while it’s cooking! Put together a quick baste mixture, in this case we chose garlic butter. Add butter, garlic, and herbs to a bowl. Melt it in the microwave, and use a baster to apply it all over the meat and veggies while it’s on the grill.
Can you prepare skewers the night before?
Yes! This is actually preferred. Build the skewers, place them in a shallow baking dish, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate over night.
Steak will taste much better with a longer marinade time. If time permits, marinate steak for at least 24 hours. Sometimes (I know from experience), that’s not possible, so at least marinate the steak for 2-3 hours before grilling.
How can I cook the skewers without a grill?
Skewers can be made in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the skewers on a baking sheet that is lined with foil. Cook them in the oven for 7 minutes per side (more or less depending on desired wellness of meat). Basting the meat using the oven is still a great idea to help retain moisture.
- 1-2 lbs Steak, (depending on size)
- 1 lb Whole mushrooms
- 2 bunches Asparagus
- 3 tablespoons Steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary, fresh or dried
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, for steak
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire, for steak
- 1 tablespoon Seasoned salt, for veggies
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder, for veggies
- 1/2 tablespoon Black pepper,for veggies
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, for veggies
- 2 tablespoons Butter, unsalted (to baste skewers)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon Thyme, dried
- Cut steak into bite size pieces, about 1x1". Place cut pieces of steak in a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Add Worcestershire, olive oil, rosemary, and steak seasoning into the large bag.
- Tightly close the Ziploc bag, and massage the seasoning into the steak meat until thoroughly combined. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours (over night is best).
- Once steak is marinated, remove it from the refrigerator and set aside. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 10 minutes. Start the charcoal grill if need be, or the propane grill.
- Cut or snap the asparagus into 3" pieces, depending on how large they are. The majority of the white ends need to be removed. Use a damp paper towel to wipe off any residue from mushrooms.
- Place mushrooms and asparagus in a large bowl. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to the bowl. Pour in the olive oil, and stir it all until coated evenly.
- Begin to build the skewers by poking the stick through the stem of the mushroom, side of asparagus (so it's sitting horizontally on the skewer), and meat. The order of the skewers is up to your preference.
- Place the skewers directly on the grill. Make the garlic butter to baste skewers.
- Add butter, garlic, and thyme into a bowl and microwave until melted.
- Cook skewers for 5-7 minutes and flip. Baste each skewer with garlic butter mixture. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes, and remove.
- Time to enjoy them!
Metal skewers can be used in place of wooden skewers
Rosemary is optional, but adds an amazing layer of flavor!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove(4-Piece Set) -Best Kitchen Chopping Board for Chopping Meat, Vegetables, Fruits, Cheese, Butcher Chopping Block & Wood Large Serving Tray Holder
TUO Chef's Knife, Kitchen Vegetable Meat Knives, German X50CrMoV15 Stainless Steel, Full Tang Ergonomic Pakkawood Handle, Razor Sharp Stain Rust Resistant, Fiery Series, 7 inch with Gift Box
Hotec Stainless Steel Kitchen Tongs Set of 2 - 9" and 12", Locking Metal Food Tongs Non-Slip Grip (Black)
Fu Store Bamboo Skewers, 8 Inch Bamboo Sticks Shish Kabob Skewers,Grill, Appetizer, Fruit, Corn, Chocolate Fountain, Cocktail,Set of 100 Pack,with Free 10 Pairs of Gloves
Char-Griller E1515 Patio Pro Charcoal Grill, Black
RWM Basting Brush - Grilling BBQ Baking, Pastry, and Oil Stainless Steel Brushes with Back up Silicone Brush Heads(Orange) For Kitchen Cooking & Marinating, Dishwasher Safe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 574Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 171mgSodium: 1240mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 47g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.