One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese made with ground beef, robust seasonings, and cheesy pasta. It is the perfect solution to a quick weeknight meal.
I've made a lot of mac and cheese over the years and I'm confident I've mastered it. If you're craving a savory bowl of this classic pasta dish, check out my other varieties: the three-cheese Southern Macaroni and Cheese and the ultra-creamy Baked Spaghetti.
With a busy schedule and six mouths to feed, One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese is a time saver and a family favorite. This creative spin on your standard macaroni and cheese will have even the pickiest eater at the table wanting seconds.
It's ready in less than 30 minutes and did I mention you only use one pot? Are you looking for something tasty and convenient? One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese will be a weekly regular in your kitchen.
It's a comfort meal you won't get bored with. Let's gather our ingredients and get started!
Why use Velveeta in Mac and Cheese?
This may seem obvious to some but Velveeta cheese is absolutely necessary when making macaroni and cheese. For those opposed to the idea of adding this cheese staple to their repertoire, allow me to convince you!
Velveeta isn't meant to be used as a stand-alone cheese. Think of it as an assisting agent to the other cheeses you throw in the mix.
Always use less Velveeta and more cheddar in One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese. I use it to improve the texture. Velveeta is very soft and smooth so it enhances the creaminess of the dish and prevents it from drying out.
How Do You Prepare One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese?
Start by browning your ground beef until no pink is visible. Use a strainer to drain the grease then place the beef back into the pot. Then add peppers, onion, and garlic and saute for several minutes.
Add cubes of our beloved Velveeta into the pot along with beef broth and water, stirring until the cheese is nearly melted. Next, include the diced tomatoes and the uncooked macaroni.
After that, add all of the seasonings then cover and cook on medium-low for about 15 minutes.
Then sprinkle cheddar over the top and cover until the cheese melts. Finally, enjoy your One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese.
How can I enhance my One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese?
Variety is the spice of life! So while I stand by my original recipes, it's always fun to experiment in the kitchen.
- Spice: Want to add an extra kick to your mac and cheese? Try including your favorite hot sauce or throw in some jalapenos.
- Protein: I use ground beef in my recipe. If you want to make this meatless, try beans instead. If you want something leaner, try ground turkey.
- Veggies: Want to add more of the healthy stuff? Mushrooms, corn or carrots would be great options.
Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes! One of my favorite things about this chili mac and cheese is that it can be made ahead. Even more, make extra so that it can be frozen! There are a few options to freeze it well. Place the leftovers in airtight containers, and place in the freezer for up to three months.
You can also place the leftovers in gallon size ziploc bags, and freeze up to three months.
How to reheat leftover chili Mac n’ cheese:
If the leftovers were frozen, remove them from the freezer and allow them to thaw in the refrigerator.Once it is thawed out, place it in a microwave safe bowl and warm it up until heated through.
Another option is to place it in a skillet and reheat on the stove. Once it is warmed-up, sprinkle additional cheddar cheese over the top and let it melt!
One pot chili mac and cheese made with ground beef, robust seasonings, and cheesy pasta. It is the perfect solution to a quick weeknight meal.
- 1 pound Ground beef
- ½ Green bell pepper, diced
- ½ Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3 cups Beef broth (substitute veggie or chicken broth if desired)
- 1 cup Milk
- 14.5 ounce can Diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces Elbow macaroni
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- 2 ½ tablespoons Chili powder
- ½ tablespoon Seasoned salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- Using a deep skillet, brown the ground beef until no pink is visible. If there is an excessive amount of grease, drain it off using a strainer. Place the beef back into the skillet.
- Add the diced bell pepper, onion, and garlic into the skillet with the meat and saute for 3-5 minutes. There should still be enough grease from the ground beef to help with the saute process.
- Place the cubes of Velveeta cheese into the skillet. Then gently pour in the beef broth and milk. Stir until the Velveeta cheese is almost melted through.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, and gently pour the elbow macaroni into the skillet and combine well.
- Next add all of the seasonings into the dish, and stir until it is mixed. Cover and cook on medium-low until the macaroni is al dente (soft but not soggy)! about 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top, and cover until the cheese melts. There will be a bit of liquid remaining, but it will thicken as it cools.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Velveeta Original Pasteurized Cheese (16 oz Box)
Meat Chopper, Hamburger Chopper, Premium Heat Resistant Meat Chopper Utensil,Ground Beef/Meat Chopper Tool,Meat/Potato Masher,Hamburger Spatula Safe
LiveFresh Stainless Steel Micro-Perforated 5-Quart Colander - Professional Strainer with Heavy Duty Handles and Self-draining Solid Ring Base - Dishwasher Safe
RJUN Kitchen Chef's Knives 8 Inches Ergonomic Juglans Regia Wood Handle German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife and Gift Box
bamfitwell Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
T-fal B36290 Specialty Nonstick 5 Quart Jumbo Cooker Saute Pan with Glass Lid, Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 1234mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 29g