Lemon Pepper Honey chicken wings where the honey is infused with a nice lemon pepper flavor and then drizzled over extra crispy, lightly breaded chicken wings to create the perfect balance of savory sweet!
Be sure to give this lemon pepper honey chicken a try, and enjoy it along with the best southern mac & cheese. This will be a winner-winner-chicken-dinner for sure! I couldn't resist! 😉
These chicken wings are literally FINGER LICKING GOOD! They are actually pretty addicting,and its a guarantee that you will not be able to eat just one. Our household is a huge fan of chicken wings. It doesn't matter how they're cooked- braised, baked, or fried, they're always a hit.
Why combine lemon pepper and honey?
One of our favorite flavors for chicken wings are lemon pepper. After experimenting a bit, we discovered that there's also something so magical about the touch of honey with fried chicken. So it was a no-brainer to combine the two to create an amazing lemon pepper honey glaze.
How to achieve a "light breading:"
These chicken wings are very lightly breaded, and fried to create the ultra crispy exterior, while maintaining the moist interior. Traditional southern fried chicken has a pretty heavy breading; or most often there's a batter that's created by marinating the chicken in buttermilk prior to tossing in flour mixture.
We intentionally made a light breading for these wings to create the ultimate crunch, that the lemon pepper honey can cling to. What's even better, we saved A LOT of time by skipping the buttermilk marinade. Now don't get me wrong- southern fried chicken is amazing! For the sake of these lemon pepper honey wings though, we stepped outside of the box!
Tips for the honey drizzle:
Lemon pepper honey is amazing once it's warmed-up and drizzled all over the hot chicken. Be aware though, the honey will harden once it sits long enough. So be certain to only warm it up right before serving.
Also, place a bit of the lemon pepper honey on the side for dipping. Rest assured, these lemon pepper chicken wings are SOMETHING SERIOUS!
- 8-10 Chicken wings, split into drums and flats if desired
- 2 cups Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon Seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper
Lemon Pepper Honey
- ½ cup Honey
- 2 tablespoon Lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. In the meantime, season chicken liberally with all of the seasonings, ensuring to coat evenly.
- Toss wings in flour mixture to coat evenly. Gently place wings in hot oil careful not to overcrowd pan.
- While wings are frying, add honey, lemon pepper, and fresh lemon juice to a small sauce pan. Bring mixture to a light boil and remove from heat.
- Fry wings on each side for 7 minutes, remove and drain on a rack or paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Let the wings sit for 5 minutes for breading to settle. Drizzle warm lemon pepper honey over chicken.
Honey mixture will harden after it cooks and sits for too long, use immediately after cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
McCormick California Style, Lemon Pepper with Garlic and Onion, 2.5 oz
Nature Nate's 100% Pure Organic, Raw & Unfiltered Honey, 16 oz. Squeeze Bottle; All-natural Sweetener, USDA Certified Organic, No Additives
Tebery 4 Pack Cooling Racks Baking Rack - 16" x 10"
StarPack Basics Silicone Kitchen Tongs (9-Inch & 12-Inch) - Stainless Steel with Non-Stick Silicone Tips, High Heat Resistant to 480°F, For Cooking, Serving, Grill, BBQ & Salad (Teal Blue)
12.5 Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Silicone Handle - Utopia Kitchen
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 6) Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set - Easy To Clean, Nesting Bowls for Space Saving Storage, Great for Cooking, Baking, Prepping