This Cookies and Cream Chocolate Poke Cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. It is so easy to make, and will be devoured in a moment of minutes. It is that good!
How to make the chocolate cake:
This recipe calls for a chocolate boxed cake. So you will simply follow the instructions according to the package directions. Although making a chocolate cake from scratch is not entirely too difficult, we are definitely using this shortcut here!
Most store-bought chocolate cakes call for three eggs, vegetable oil, and water. Once you mix them all together, a cake batter will form. Bake the cake according to the time directed on the package. Once it is done, you will remove it from the oven and set it aside for at least ten minutes to cool down.
Substitution for Cookies and Cream Instant Pudding:
You may not be able to find the Oreo cookie instant pudding. If this is the case, simply purchase vanilla pudding. Make the vanilla pudding according to the package instructions, and set it aside. Crush up about one cup of oreos, and add them to the vanilla pudding.
Gently mix the Oreo cookies into the pudding. Cover the pudding up and place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Why is my pudding lumpy?
The Oreo cookie (Cookies and cream) pudding has pieces of actual cookie in it. Since there are real pieces of cookie bits, the pudding will have some lumps in it. Just be sure to mix the instant powder very well with the cold milk to ensure it is combined well.
Do I have to use Oreos?
Yes! We have tried making this cake with generic "cookies and cream" style of cookies. It is not the same! Oreo's definitely have a unique flavor profile that make this cake what it is.
So make the couple dollar extra splurge, and purchase the Oreo brand cookies. It will make a noticable difference in the overall flavor of the cake.
Making the cake ahead of time:
One of the most beautiful things about this cake is that it can in fact be made ahead of time. Bake the cake, poke the holes in the cake, and set it aside. Make the pudding and pour it all over the cake. Be sure to smooth it out so that it seeps into all of the holes you poked in the cake.
Smooth the layer of whipped cream over the top of the pudding. Cover the cake up, and place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it. Do not add the crumbled Oreos to the top of the whip cream layer until you are ready to serve.
How long does this cake last?
Make this cake ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or until you are ready to serve it. Add the crushed-up Oreos right over the top just prior to serving. This will ensure that the Oreos are still slightly crunchy. It makes for a nice textural difference with each bite!
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix (eggs, oil, water or other ingredients cake mix calls for)
- 1 box Cookies and Cream instant pudding (2-3 cups milk, according to package directions, SEE NOTES BELOW)
- 1 tub Whipped topping, (Cool Whip)
- Oreos, crumbled for topping
- In a 9x13 baking dish, bake the chocolate cake according to package directions. Once it is cooked through, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 10-20 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, mix the pudding mixture with the milk according to the package directions. Pudding may be a bit lumpy because of the cookie pieces (see notes below). Refrigerate it until the cake cools a bit.
- Once the cake cools, use the rounded end of a wooden spoon to poke holes through the entire cake by pressing straight down through the cake repeatedly.
- Pour the pudding mixture all over the cake, and spread it out to ensure it seeps into all of the holes.
- Next, spread the whipped topping all over the top of the pudding, into one even layer.
- Sprinkle the crumbled Oreos over the top of the whipped cream layer. Cut and serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
If you cannot find Oreo instant pudding, use French vanilla pudding. Mix it according to package instructions, and mix in one cup of crushed up Oreos.
Oreo crumbles on top will become a bit soggy after refrigerating. If crunchy topping is desired, add crumbles right before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cool Whip Original Whipped Topping (16 oz Tub)
HANSGO Long Handle Wooden Cooking Mixing Oval Spoons, 6PCS 12 Inch Long Wooden Spoons Wooden Tasting Spoons Large Cooking Spoons
Jell-O Instant Pudding & Pie Filling Oreo Cookies 'N Cream with Cookie Pieces, 4.2 Oz (Pack of 2)
Bovado USA 4 Quart Glass Bowl for Storage, Mixing, Serving - Clear, Dishwasher, Freezer & Oven Safe Glass, Easy-Clean, 4 QT
OXO Good Grips Freezer-to-Oven Safe 3 Qt Glass Baking Dish with Lid, 9 x 13,Clear,9 x 13"
Electric Hand Mixer 5-Speed 300W Turbo,Kitchen Electric Mixer for Baking with Eject Function,Storage Base and 4 Stainless Steel Accessories for Whipping Mixing Cookies, Brownies, Cakes, Dough Batters
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
This website provides approximate nutrition information as a courtesy and for convenience only.